Blending multiple amp sims?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I've read a thread on here from a while back where someone was talking about using multiple amp sims, with the same DIs to get a blended sound. Does this really work? In that thread someone was talking about possible phase issues , and when I tried doing it I noticed some weirdness going on, so I just wanted to see if anyone else does this , or if I should just stick to one amp sim.

well ive never done it but theoretically, if one part in both sims are panned exactly the same and playing with exactly 0 latency, you'll have no phase issues. so try it out.

It's the same as with real amps/mics. Different sims are going to impart a different phase shift on the DI's. IME flipping the polarity on one of the does the trick most of the time. OC it's easier to see what's going on if you print the tracks.

It's the same as with real amps/mics. Different sims are going to impart a different phase shift on the DI's. IME flipping the polarity on one of the does the trick most of the time. OC it's easier to see what's going on if you print the tracks.

Can I flip the polarity after the track is printed with the sim? Or do I need to do it on the DI and then print it? Also what plugin do I use to flip the polarity? Thanks for the help man.

well ive never done it but theoretically, if one part in both sims are panned exactly the same and playing with exactly 0 latency, you'll have no phase issues. so try it out.

Not really, unless you're using the same sim with the same settings there's always going to be some phase cancellation, though when you're blending two amps that's kind of the the point, messing with phase relationships to change the sound (it's the same idea as blending two mic's together on a cab)

Watch out for how it effects your high end, as that's the first thing to go when blending amps together. You might end up going "wow, that sounds much thicker!" when actually you're losing highs and making stuff sound duller.

Not really, unless you're using the same sim with the same settings there's always going to be some phase cancellation, though when you're blending two amps that's kind of the the point, messing with phase relationships to change the sound (it's the same idea as blending two mic's together on a cab)

Watch out for how it effects your high end, as that's the first thing to go when blending amps together. You might end up going "wow, that sounds much thicker!" when actually you're losing highs and making stuff sound duller.

Thanks for the tips man !

Also , I just wanted to say that I'm only adding a second amp for a bit more distortion, behind the main guitar which is slightly lower gain so the notes are clear. So I'm blending about 75/25. So the phase shouldn't be too noticeable right?