Whats your technique to blend multiple amps?

philby82

Jan 13, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys

Just curious how you guys go about blending multiple amps depending on how many DI's there are.

For example riff, dual tracked so there is a L DI and a R DI.

Do you

a) Amp A on the L and Amp B on the R?
b) Both Amps on Each side, with levels adjusted and phase if needed, or with panning differences?
c) Other?

Lately i've been using (a), but im wondering what is normally done?

Do you apply the same technique to quad tracked parts?

Cheers

Phil

Ummmm, theres nothing about different techniques for blending amps there....... i guess you were just giving me the noob answer post but its not like its my first post and im askin for presets.... i was just curious how other people go about it.

The google search didnt really come up with much, and i've read alot of stuff here, was just seeing what most people do / like.

Guess it must really be a stupid question :confused:

Phil

Well for me if its rhythm guitar then I do one amp left and one amp right, if its lead and its getting panned in center then obviously I blend the two. I think those are really the only two options, pan or blend. Just depends on the function of the part I guess.

send each DI once thru each amp, so you end up with 4 DI tracks total...put one of each on the L, one of each on the R, mix to taste

Ummmm, theres nothing about different techniques for blending amps there....... i guess you were just giving me the noob answer post but its not like its my first post and im askin for presets.... i was just curious how other people go about it.

The google search didnt really come up with much, and i've read alot of stuff here, was just seeing what most people do / like.

Guess it must really be a stupid question :confused:

Phil

I wasn't being a dick and never said you were asking for presets

There's a link on there that says "Sneap Search" ... its a custom built forum search engine ... its awesome and will help you find the MANY threads that have been posted about the topics you're asking about almost all of which are filled with great info

There are so many variables that go into using multiple amps (along with different mics) that it's impossible to give a single answer. Some prefer identical sounds on both sides, others vary them greatly. Just try out different setups. Your personal preference and opinion on the sound quality is what counts in the end after all.

I always use two very different sounds when doing multiple amps per DI; often one with little gain and plenty of definition/bite, and then another one with more gain and roar, then I mix to taste.

Figured I'd ask since this thread was at the top-

Has anyone ever gone crazy with reamping with like 2-3 heads per DI with 2-3 mics and kept it? Or even more?

Haven't looked around on here for example- but I'm sure there are some pretty beefy/unique tones that have come from it. I have a hell of a time withe blending 3 mics and usually just keep 2 for each guitar. Couldn't imagine mixing 9 or more tracks per DI right now hahaha

I wasn't being a dick and never said you were asking for presets

There's a link on there that says "Sneap Search" ... its a custom built forum search engine ... its awesome and will help you find the MANY threads that have been posted about the topics you're asking about almost all of which are filled with great info

Sorry dude, i probably should have mentioned that when i said i googled it i meant with the sneap search function, its actually in my favourites and my first stop before i ask a question. I couldn't see anything really with the same question in the first few pages so i figured i'd ask.

Your right though, that sneap search is a lifesaver as the search in the forum is very hard to navigate.

Cheers

Phil

Figured I'd ask since this thread was at the top-

Has anyone ever gone crazy with reamping with like 2-3 heads per DI with 2-3 mics and kept it? Or even more?

Haven't looked around on here for example- but I'm sure there are some pretty beefy/unique tones that have come from it. I have a hell of a time withe blending 3 mics and usually just keep 2 for each guitar. Couldn't imagine mixing 9 or more tracks per DI right now hahaha

I tend to use 2 different heads. And I usually use 2 mics as well. To keep things from getting crazy I usually get the mics how I want em and print em to one track