How do you guys deal with phase issues when re-amping using multiple amps

James-Doolan

Jun 6, 2007
Sydney
Im just wondering how you guys deal with this problem today i re-amped a quad tracked riff using a 6505 on two tracks and a mesa dual rec on the other two tracks and when i combined the 4 tracks there was a huge phase problem like nearly 180 out of phase.(When listening back using amp sims and impulses i had no problems) I just flipped the phase on the two mesa tracks and it seems ok now but im just woundering how you guys deal with it.

oh and whats the cause?? Is it just one amp reacting faster than the other??

Happens all the time. You just gotta flip the phase on the di/amp/mic pres. Rarely are amps kind of out of phase...it's generally 180 out. Especially if you're using the same cab/mics for both amps, it'll almost always just be a matter of flipping it. If I'm tracking 2 amps through the same cabinet I'll just flip the phase on the DI for one of the amps.

Each tube triode gain-stage inverts the signal. If the other amp has one more or less gain-stage, signal will be 180 degrees off phase. Stomp boxes might do this also. Tube amps cannot delay signal.

I'm not sure how you've recorded the quad tracks. Do you mean you recorded 4 different passes, two with each amp? I would think the phasing problems would only come into play if you were using multiple mics on the exact same pass. Unless you meant that somehow you only recorded two passes, one with each amp and you played back the same DI performance to two different amps. THEN I'd understand the phasing problems.

I'm not sure how you've recorded the quad tracks. Do you mean you recorded 4 different passes, two with each amp? I would think the phasing problems would only come into play if you were using multiple mics on the exact same pass. Unless you meant that somehow you only recorded two passes, one with each amp and you played back the same DI performance to two different amps. THEN I'd understand the phasing problems.

No it was one riff, 4 different performances, two of the takes were re-amped into 6505 into mesa 4x12 miced with single sm57 and the other two takes were re-amped into mesa dual rec into the same cab and mic set up the result was that the mesa and the 6505 were 180 deg out of phase, I flipped the phase on the channel in cubase for the mesa tracks and now its all cool again.

Street wise explains the reason for the phase difference:kickass: