Double Tracked Guitar Phase

Hafizi

New Metal Member
Sep 3, 2009
Hi guys, today I just finish tracking guitars, two guitars are playing the same rhythm and panned hard left / right, it sounds really nice to me with stereo, but the problem is, when I look at the phase correlation, it shows out of phase from 0 to -1, and it sounds weird to me when playing in mono,

because I read somewhere, that if u can get the right phase in mono it will sound better in final mix, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using TH1 for guitars, and both guitars are using different amp and cab settings. Hope u guys can help me out.
thanks a bunch :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can NOT get phase cancellation with 2 separate performances unless you used 2 mics on the cab, and are using both those tracks, whereas maybe the 2 mics are different distances from the cab?

Also, don't certain amps create a phase problem naturally when trying to blend?

have you played twice or just copied the same performance onto different tracks?

sloppy playing maybe?

Yeah.. I recorded it twice the playing, both played the same thing

I think I agree with the sloppy playing, but still there is the part the band played quiet tight, and the phase only shows in the middle 0 to almost half of -1, is it normal for the same guitar part phase only shows to around 0 only ? guess I need to align all the wave to 100% then

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can NOT get phase cancellation with 2 separate performances unless you used 2 mics on the cab, and are using both those tracks, whereas maybe the 2 mics are different distances from the cab?

Also, don't certain amps create a phase problem naturally when trying to blend?

Aaa.. as I'm not really experience yet with amps, I can't really tell it will have phase problem naturally when blending it :Smokin:, the setting was both one mics, one off axis and another one is half of on axis with close distance no room mics

I think I may be lost here, are you blending multiple amp sounds using the same DI? Or is this "Phase issue" just two sloppy tracks that sound sloppier in mono?

Well.
You should not worry too much about it. This effect often happens wit extreme pan settings (which are the right ones, in my opinion, to reach a huge guitar tone)
There are two things to consider.
First : make sure that the guitar performance is the most perfect possible. Try to be the most intolerant ear in the world. Hear every single move between the two guitar tracks.
Second : if there is always phase troubles, they, then, will be very small, and they will disappear when you add the bass, the vocals, the drums.
I think the most critical gear to record, concerning phase issues, is the drums. Be very careful about it. But concerning guitars, my small experience tells me that it can happen that the phase doesn't seem perfect.
Last advice : work with your ears, not with your gears. Even an amateur sound technician like me can say that too many of us have the temptation to perform just like bad photographers who trust their gears to the point they don't even take care of the light. :yell:
Don't worry. Hope those lines were useful to you :wave: