phase and re-amping with 2 mics.

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
before i got into re amping i would track with 2 mics on a 4X12. now that im getting into re amping everything i do, i am wondering something.

the old way i would set up both mics and get them in the right spots and check the phase.

now that i can re-amp 1 mic at a time, will the 2 mics be more in phase if i re-amp them seperatly cause they were not recording the same source at the same time?

it seems that this could possably result in a better sound cause there would be no phase issues.

or is this just a total waste of time (having to make 4 passes rather then 2 on each song to re amp 2 takes)

Nope... you can get phase issue even with reamping 2 different amps/cabs with the same take! try it!

before i got into re amping i would track with 2 mics on a 4X12. now that im getting into re amping everything i do, i am wondering something.

the old way i would set up both mics and get them in the right spots and check the phase.

now that i can re-amp 1 mic at a time, will the 2 mics be more in phase if i re-amp them seperatly cause they were not recording the same source at the same time?

it seems that this could possably result in a better sound cause there would be no phase issues.

or is this just a total waste of time (having to make 4 passes rather then 2 on each song to re amp 2 takes)
What exactly do you mean you'd get them in the right spots and check the phase? You mean the polarity is generally the same, or that you're moving the mic until you get sample-accurate no delay in the 2nd mic? Are you on different speakers of the cab, or 2 mics on the same speaker?

Anyway, doing a second pass of the same take for the 2nd mic is not going to help you. Yes, you are technically not miking the same source simultaneously, and since the cab and amp are an analog system, it will not be 100% the same sound each time; however, it will absolutely be close enough to cause the same phase issues it would have. The difference you would get by running a second pass for the 2nd mic would be negligible.