Sample mixes with sims/superior?

Nov 11, 2013
I am looking for pro sounding mixes from bands using only amp sims and VST drums, whether it be Superior, Slate etc.

I am starting to wonder if it's even possible to get a pro sounding mix without using real amps / drums.

Thanks everyone!

I was really bored a couple weeks ago and made this cover. Don't judge me for the song choice. I'd like to think it sounds at least as good as the original, albeit my playing is shoddy at times, but it's 100% programmed drums and the guitar sounds are Amplitube 3.

I forgot this one was all ITB, too. I wish I would've lead with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I have come to the realization that I simply do not have the skills to make a professional sounding mix. Even with the tremendous amounts of help from pre-made samples to multiple forums, blogs etc.
I think some people have the ear for it, sadly I am not one of them.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I have come to the realization that I simply do not have the skills to make a professional sounding mix. Even with the tremendous amounts of help from pre-made samples to multiple forums, blogs etc.
I think some people have the ear for it, sadly I am not one of them.

Thanks everyone.

Hmmmm, it depends on your gear, if you have shitty resources, your mix will be shitty. So recording with a 250$ dollar guitar, isn't the same as recording with a more professional guitar.

Hmmmm, it depends on your gear, if you have shitty resources, your mix will be shitty. So recording with a 250$ dollar guitar, isn't the same as recording with a more professional guitar.

I have thousands in gear, makes no difference. It's all in how you use it and I just cant seem to hear what others can hear. I have been on and off recording for many, many years and have never been able to get a pro sounding mix. Maybe the issue lies in the fact I have been on and off with it, lack of time spent on anything certainly shows through in performance.

Here is a perfect example from Revson:

"Learned, recorded, programmed, mixed, and master in about 4.5 hours between last night and this morning"

Better than anything I have done or could do, that tells me I just don't have it. It's cool, time to find something else to occupy my time. Should have hung it up years ago.

I recall someone once saying that the first 100 mixes will suck. Then it starts to gradually get better and better. It's true that for some people it will come easier, but it's totally possible for you to make great mixes.

This is all EZ Mix2 using the Metal Gods pack and Superior.

Colby Wedgeworth

The guy charges 3k to produce/write/record singles and albums for bands. He's all ITB, Digi003, Rode NT1 (cheap) into Presonus MP20 ($100 preamp) and was mixing in an untreated 9x9 room on Rokits. Superior with a Roland TD-9 and PodFarm and stock plugins. I helped him track vocals and sat in for a few days while my friends recorded an album in his little apartment bedroom. It made me realize that preamps and conversion and mics and all the shit people like me said they needed to have to "get that sound" didn't matter(although it is nice and helps). There's really no excuse, which made me feel like a total idiot because I had a better setup than him and my mixes weren't as good. I opened up a 2500 square foot studio, I'm steadily building my front end and I have a great environment to work in- but I listen to guys like Putney and Bollou and Crummett and scratch my head with the sounds these guys get. Kris Crummett works in a living room currently and Machine Shop straight up doesn't have drywall put in in some rooms still. It's really just training your ears and learing how to make do with what you have. If you want to get that good, don't give up.

Here's a song my friends from highschool did with Colby to put it in perspective

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6Sht0hWnY[/ame]

From what I've learned over the years, there are 3 phases in making a song. Tracking, mixing, mastering from most important to least important, respectfully.

If your songs sound like shit, try grabbing some of the files from the practice room part of the forum and doing trying your own mix. If it sounds like shit there, its on your end because those people work hard to create mix ready stems. If you mix something that sounds bad ass but yours suffers, its your tracking/writing/drum programming.

For metal: http://youtu.be/i00E-O0cafA will get you a very basic mix session you can show off, and this will help you learn what you want to hear to make a clearer mix.

is example of midi drums, midi bass, and dry guitars from the forums I've mixed. I've tested at work when i made it a while ago, and it sounded like because the speakers didn't respond to the bass frequencies. so keep in mind plenty of mediums when you mix... Good Luck

Here is what really gets me down about my ability. I have never had anything remotely close to this mix. This was done by a forum member. They tracked with minimal gear and went to a studio in Syracuse to be mixed.

This blows away anything I have done in over 20 years.

I have been playing guitar for 25 years and my singer has been at it just as long. We don't always have time for music, but we still know how to write a song. How can I get this quality? If I tracked a song and sent it to them would I get the same results? I should right? But I am betting I wont.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-h33hFylyM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

The best advice I can give is - DON'T GIVE UP - and give you my personal experiences on my journey thus far.

Look at my gear list in my sig (then theres a link to something I recorded and released) - cheap and modest at best. It's all I have had for a number of years.

I never thought it was possible to get pro-sounding stuff out of my gear but then I discovered the work of some of the people mentioned in this thread and heard what they were doing in "less than ideal environments" and with a modest selection of gear and it blew me away. I started to read a LOT and put what I had read into practice and my stuff started sounding better.

I still think I suck at it and I know I have a long way to go still. When I do a song myself I'll print 9 or 10 versions of it. When its "done" is when I don't know what to tweak anymore or I'm fretting over .5 of a db.

When I'm mixing RAWs, I'll work for a few hours until I have all the sounds and I'm happy with it then get critiques on it. I have been told my mixes are pretty solid and people suggest one or two things that I might change (which I love - feedback is good!) and a lot of the changes can be done in a few minutes.

I use reference mixes and listen on as many different things as I can (my own rig, my wife's car, iPhone speaker, earpods, different pairs of headphones, boom boxes in Best Buy!). I mostly mix on my headphones because my current speakers are fucking awful at reproducing anything below 56Hz ie. they don't! I use a spectrum analyser and compare the overall spectrum of my tracks with mixes ripped from CD to WAV to give me an idea of where I'm at and I'll consider what I see but not take it as gospel.

I keep practicing with as many raw files as i can, inbetween writing my own stuff. It's fun, and it's the only way I'll get better. I have the time at the moment as I moved to the US from the UK late last year and got married, and I'm still waiting on my green card, so no job at the moment. My wife and I want to get a house of our own (working out of my inlaws' box room right now!!!!!!:puke:) and I plan on building up a dedicated somewhat treated room and getting AT LEAST a better interface and better speakers.