Taming "Boominess" On Amp Sims?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Something I was wondering about, and that's taming, for lack of a better word, the "boominess" on amp sims. I've tried running a high pass, which does remove some of it, but I still find an annoying amount even when I'm cutting at 150+. I also tried cutting back on the bass on the preamp, but that really doesn't help either.

Any simple tricks/advice to bring this a little more under control?

First rule of amp sims is put the maximum amount of effort in to finding a cab IR that sounds good! That means, select your amp sim, adjust the gain to get the desired amount of distortion/gain, leave all the EQ knobs at default position, then go hunting for an IR that sounds close to what you want. That is the greatest effort to reward pay off to getting a good sound.

Then, and only then, do you start applying the tips below. I'm not a pro, but I'd like to think I have experience that is relevant. If you have a good amp - IR sound right off the bat, then taking it from a good sound to a great sound is much, much easier.

multiband comp

Do a search around here and look for the Andy Sneap multiband compressor preset.

If you can't find it, I'll post a screen shot of the ReaXcomp settings I use.

Also, using an eq, set up a band pass at 1 octave and 3-6 dB boost and search around the 500 - 800 Hz range, until you find what Ermz calls the "cardboard" zone. Once you find the frequency (source dependent), reduce the band by -3 dB (or to taste).

Then do the same thing in the 200 Hz range.

Then, if you're panning hard left/right, use a Mid/Side mixer (there's a JS plugin for that) to reduce the Mid split, that will also tend to reduce the boominess of two L-R panned guitars.

See how you go with that and let me know if it helps!

a lot of it comes down to selecting the right IR. After that do a cut around the 130-150 area try a multiband compressor. That has helped for me. Mickrick has some great ones. The TMF impulse collection is also good although it is not free.

As mentioned previously, selecting the right IR is most important. Multiband comp can also help.

Also try using a boost pedal before the amp. These typically shave off some lows before hitting the amp's distortion, which is exactly what you want. I've also had luck simply using an EQ before the amp to shave off lows- you can try a low shelf, hi-pass, whatever works.

It could also be the choice of pickups and the guitar itself contributing. I don't seem to have this issue, and I hipass guitars at 100hz pretty much across the board with not much other eqing done with the low end.

It could also be the choice of pickups and the guitar itself contributing. I don't seem to have this issue, and I hipass guitars at 100hz pretty much across the board with not much other eqing done with the low end.

Am still using the stock pups in an Agile 827. They're not bad, but the F3 string definitely sounds muddier/weaker than the other seven. I thinking it may be time for a pup swap. Lundgren M8 or BKP Cold Sweat maybe.

Why does everyone need a multiband comp? Are you all dealing with tones that have like bass and gain on 10? Or people that can't pick properly/evenly?

Why does everyone need a multiband comp? Are you all dealing with tones that have like bass and gain on 10? Or people that can't pick properly/evenly?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but as I know boominess we are talking about comes from cab resonant frequency that IR's inherit. Don't know what picking properly got to do with it, but with with palm muting happening there is natural boom sound accompanied with sharp mids + highs making sound - chu (from chug :D )

But how to tame that boom fall on your sholders, because your preference dictate how you want it to sound using any technique you can think about. Using multiband comp you can give less dynamic to it would be most used approach.

I cut up to 10 db in the 80 -90 range before even hitting the amp sims. After that limit with very fast attack like 1 ms for up to 5 - 7 db with release around 20 - 40 ms then hit the amp sim. I only do this if the guitars sound boomy, not as a rule of thumb.