switching from pod farm to free amp sims

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
Hi all,
After hearing really good things about free amp sims and impulses and what not, I have decided to make the switch from podfarm. I have been reading up on it and I get the general idea, but I was wondering if you could help steer me in the right direction as far as setting it all up goes. Here is my setup...

ESP LTD EC1000 guitar ---> line 6 pod studio gx ---> USB to my computer

So... I was reading that a good way to go would be LePou amp sims + Onqel's TSE 808 + Impulses.

So correct me if I'm wrong...this is what I should be doing...
Load up reaper, and insert a LePou amp sim as a virtual instrument on a track. Then load up the TSE 808 VST plugin right on top of the LePou amp sim. Then load up an impulse loader VST (like leCab) on top of all that and start bringing in impulses from GuitarHack? Is this pretty much correct? Anything I should know about that I am missing? Should this get me started on the way to a good metal tone? Keep in mind that I won't be doing too much recording, and this is more for me to just sit down at my computer and play through headphones along with jam tracks...

You're pretty much there, but you need to put the 808 BEFORE the amp sim such as you would do with a real tubescreamer boosting the amp.

What would I use for the amp sim?...I see that LePou has a LeCto plugin which states that it is an amp simulator and would need to be used in conjunction with a cabinet simulator... and then I see something called LeGion which says it is a high gain pre-amp simulator. Are they basically the same thing?

LeCto is great. Also try X50 from Onquel, some get great sound out of it. For LeGion, I use it with a cab sim and nothing else and it sounds great this way :)

X14Halo said:
What would I use for the amp sim?...I see that LePou has a LeCto plugin which states that it is an amp simulator and would need to be used in conjunction with a cabinet simulator... and then I see something called LeGion which says it is a high gain pre-amp simulator. Are they basically the same thing?

Legion and Lecto are just two different ampsims, there are plenty more but those two are favorites for many people here, me included. And yes, you need an impulse loader after them, otherwise they sound like crap, but you already know that, you said it in your first post

Ok thanks for your help! I will give it a shot tonight after work and I will post my results. You guys rock! :kickass:

Haven't gotten home yet to try it out, but just wondering...is the POD Studio GX an ok interface to plug my guitar into?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX/dp/B001EHWD0I[/ame]
Or would it be better to go get a good DI box or something?

Ok guys, so I tried everything out...and it just sounds like crap so I am sure I am doing something wrong... here is what I recorded. The first part is just me opening reaper and using Legion. The second part is me adding Kefir to load lolzgreg's free sample IR. (and yes I set the mix to 100%)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44864413/soundTest2.mp3
What the hell am I doing wrong???
Again, my guitar is plugged into my pod studio gx which is going to my computer via USB. I tried 2 different guitars, so its definitely not my guitar.

You will see that my guitar sounds nothing like this one at :43 seconds into this video using just legion:

mine sounds like it's not powered enough or something...I tried throwing a TSE 808 in front of everything and it still doesn't change it up at all really...

Last edited by a moderator:
Use LeCab or LeCab 2 instead of KeFir, less ways to fuck up ;)

Just use TSE808 as the first plugin (Gain 0, Tone 5-7 imho, Volume 5-7), Legion and than add
LeCab and load an impulse in there-should work that way.

Ok...little bit of improvement but still doesn't sound great. Here is a recording. First part is just raw guitar signal with no FX, second part is with 808 added (no difference), 3rd part is with legion added, and last part is with lecab.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44864413/soundTest3.mp3

here is a screenshot of my setup...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44864413/reaperSetup.jpg

I am finally getting a guitar-ish sound, but it still is not nearly as good as what I was expecting compared to pod farm or guitar rig.

One tip is to increase the buffersize(latency) on LeCab .. It will give you more details of the impulse used.. (Mainly in the low end)

based on my raw guitar sound, can you tell if something is wrong from the start?

I think the raw guitar sounds OK, but it's a bit weak on the volume. Maybe you could adjust recording input so that you would get more volume on the DI-track.

I haven't used Legion in ages so I don't remember my settings at all, but looking from your screenshot and the tutorial video it seems that you are using Rhytm channel on the Legion and on the tutorial they use Lead channel. Have you tried how your recording sounds on the Lead channel?

Idk about anyone else, but a lot of times i use pod farm with the cab sim off, while using Catharsis impulses. In Pod Farm i will put a noise gate, the screamer, and i will mess with the knobs on the amp of my choice (usually cali diamond plate). Then i load LeCab (to load an impulse) and i usually use the catharsis s-preshigh impulse. So each guitar tracks basically has pod farm, and lecab as inserts, then i send the guitar tracks to a buss where it has (in this order) PSP vintage warmer, C4, EQ, L1 , then some post EQ (hp & lp). I will post a clip soon but thats how i get the starting tone from the start. Once i start playing some cratch tracks over the already mixed drums, i find myself tweaking quite a bit depending on the feel of the song. Here's a clip of guitars going through the same exact plugin chain i just posted above.

KEEP IN MIND!
-i did this in 5 minutes
-playing is not that tight
-THERES NO BASSSSSSSSS (because of this, my guitar tone has a lot of unnecessary bass in it)
-chugss are from 3 seconds to 15 seconds, and the chorus is at 36 seconds in. (i think the chorus needs to be a little louder)
let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/pre-studio-productions/gtr-template-with-no-bass