Guitar Impulses: how many at once?

Dyvan13

New Metal Member
May 28, 2012
I'm a newbie when it comes to mixing, but I am on my merry way.

I've got a decent drum and bass guitar sound, now I'm onto the electric guitars.
So my question is, how many amp sims should I use on a single guitar track? I'm using the good ol' LePou plugins and cab, paired with the TSE 808 overdrive pedal for that extra oomph.

I downloaded a MAMMOTH pack of impulses that another member put on this forum. It includes all the guitarhack, catharisis, and JJ impulses which seem to be very popular. Where do I even begin haha? I plan on quad tracking my guitars, 2 hard left and right, 2 soft left and right. I've got a decent but mediocre sound so far just with plinking around with em all.

Thanks in advance! And I am also THRILLED with the LePou plugins. It's awesome, I couldn't ask for a better amp sim.

Could you link that impulses link ? :)

For the impulses, I only use one per stereo bus.
If quad-track, 2 impulses : Impulse #1 with 100% Left+Right (stereo bus) and Impulse #2 with ±75% Left+Right stereo.
I'm a noob tho, but this method works flawless for me.

Thanks guys! Alas, I had to search through pages and pages and pages to find that download.... and I don't remember where it was...

It's really a matter of personal taste, sometimes using several impulses on different tracks will create a fuller sound, sometimes I even stack up two impulses on one track (in lecab) because it creates a special sound.

My current method is this: I use one amp sim per guitar track and start with one impulse that sounds best. Then if it has any holes in its audio spectrum (too scooped, missing upper midrange, not sizzly enough, etc.) I blend in a second impulse that fills out that hole. This is easy to do with Recabinet since it takes two impulses and has filters/volume for each. I double that for the L side if doing quad tracking, then for the R side I do that again, but the 2nd impulse I change to a different one. This way the 1st impulse stays the same for consistency, but the flavor changes a little for extra separation.

I have a question, don't want to create another topic for this and it's pretty similar I think

We see over the forum only 1 track for L guitar and one for right guitar
Can i duplicate them to make L/R + 75L&R with same amp&different impulses?

Thanks

My current method is this: I use one amp sim per guitar track and start with one impulse that sounds best. Then if it has any holes in its audio spectrum (too scooped, missing upper midrange, not sizzly enough, etc.) I blend in a second impulse that fills out that hole. This is easy to do with Recabinet since it takes two impulses and has filters/volume for each. I double that for the L side if doing quad tracking, then for the R side I do that again, but the 2nd impulse I change to a different one. This way the 1st impulse stays the same for consistency, but the flavor changes a little for extra separation.

That is very good advice! I like that a lot. That seems to be my problem: there is always an artificial sounding "gap" on my guitar tracks. You can do that in lecab too!