How do you use impulses in 4 Guitar Tracks

s2c

Oct 6, 2007
Madeira - Portugal
www.myspace.com
Hey!
I'd Like to Know when you record 4 guitar tracks for each side using impulses, you normally insert in each track impulses plugins (voxengo or other) or do you send the 4 track to a bus and then apply impulses to all 4 tracks at the same time?

Thanks ;)

Cheers

In theory it should make no difference, because impulses are based on linear system theory and they are linear! Linear means it makes no difference if you first sum and than use the effect or use the effect on each track and sum after that, in formulas:

f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)
f(a*x) = a*f(x)

think of x,y as a source and of f as the effect, a as amplification (multiplication with a factor)

In theory it should make no difference, because impulses are based on linear system theory and they are linear! Linear means it makes no difference if you first sum and than use the effect or use the effect on each track and sum after that, in formulas:

f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)
f(a*x) = a*f(x)

think of x,y as a source and of f as the effect, a as amplification (multiplication with a factor)

Right.

When I use FreeFilter, I usually apply the effect to the entire guitar bus, not individually, and the result is the same.

Impulses are filters, so, same thing...

I apply the impulse to a bus and just send the individual tracks to it. I hear no difference.

In theory I agree with the "all to one bus" argument (simply to reduce CPU load), BUT ...

... putting impulses on each guitar track allows me to choose different impulses for the guitars, thereby creating a different soundspectrum.

That's why I usually put one on each ...

In theory I agree with the "all to one bus" argument (simply to reduce CPU load), BUT ...

... putting impulses on each guitar track allows me to choose different impulses for the guitars, thereby creating a different soundspectrum.

That's why I usually put one on each ...

+1

I was about to chime in with this.

well that's what I actually do. I set up two buses and send two tracks to one with one impulse and the other two to the other with a differnt impulse.