Impulses and Drum Samples

Dollarosa

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys

Been looking at this forum for awhile now, but have not posted anything yet. I was wondering about impulses, a lot of you here are using them to get your guitar tones. I have listened to some of the mixes on the forum and they sound great. I have been recording for about 4 years and have only used live sounds and due to my time constraints these days, it would be great to get to know what equipment I would need to start using impulses. At the moment I would just be looking at some freeware plugins. I saw the voxengo boogex is used here, is that a good start?

Also I rarely replace drums, as my sample collection is very limited, just samples of my own stuff that I have recorded. The slate pack looks great, my questions is that would the lite version do the job for me?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gpwzsp

Above is a link of my bands recording that I mixed, there is no replacement here. The song is a little soft but it gets heavy in the middle section. Do you think I will get better guitar tones thru impulses?

Thanks for your help

P.S this forum is a gold mine, love andy's work

Do you think I will get better guitar tones thru impulses
Without listening to your mix: There is nothing to be "gained" by using impulses over a real cab. They get quite close to the real thing but as long as you have the time and ability to mic real cabs it's still the way to go IMHO!