Best EQ VST for amp sims?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
hey there

For some 2 years now I've been using Waves Q10 which is a vst parametric equalizer with 10 bands for shaping amp sims, and so far it's the one that has given me better results/more control (compared to the stock ones in Sonar and some other one I might have tried). Do you recommend any other? (commercial or free)

A better one perhaps? (I'd like +bands on a single instance)

Apologies if this has been already asked - if so I couldn't find it with the search engine.

thanks for your input :)

I can't tell if you want a better guitar tone or what, but either get a real amp or try eq'ing differently. :)

I'd vote for the PLParEQ, which sounds amazing - especially in the higher frequencies. There was a free version aeons ago, but by now you'd have to invest... quite some money.
Free stuff: Nyquist EQ5 (smartelectronix) or Phase EQ by Matthew Lindsay. If you need more flexibility it's allways good to have the Electri-Q (AIXcoustic Creations). The Rubberfilter might help you notching some sizzle and the PushTec (Leftover Lasagne) is nice for smooth low- and high-end (even compared to some of the commercial Pultec-emulations).

OT: BassTard...you've been MIA for a long time!

Well yeah... you're right. That was some interesting times... new job, new home, got divorced... (anybody knowing a phase-aligned equalizer for evening out relationships?)
But still I missed this forum (never tried anything else)... you guys still rock the most... and I hope I'll be over here more regular.

TOPIC: I believe eq-ing guitars is mostly about the quality of the higher spectrum. And additional overtones (as produced by a lot of the analogue-style plugs) won't allways add to the sound of high-gain signals, though I love them most of the time.
You might learn a lot about distorted gits when you use Voxengo's CurveEQ for cloning guitarsounds (nearly every metal-album contains one soloed riff).

More candidates may be the Sonnox-EQ and the Algorithmix PEQ Red.

What about apulSoft apQualizr ? I use pretty much everywhere for some time now and so far I`m loving it.
Maybe it`s not that CPU efficient tho ..

It seems very accurate -I demo'ed it but got confused with the 'width' parameter instead of Q on some of the filter types :lol:

wasn't there a study a little while ago showing that all digital EQs are literally the exact same?

just depends on what kind of interface you like to work with, I thought.

Pro-Q is the killer.unlimited bands,very flexible,basic analyzer,linear phase mode - what else would you want from surgical eq?
I don't use it for boosting though,there are way better eqs for this,and Hi pass is named low cut,which is annoying at times.

for surgical I use Sonalksis ParaGraphic EQ they have available.
for character, I use Softube's Trident A Range EQ. it's the most gorgeous character EQ I have. best investment ever.

i loveeee DMG Audio's eQuality for HP/LP general surgical stuff and my absolute fave on GTR's issssssssssssssssssssssssss......

SOFTUBE TRIDENT A-RANGE EQ!!!!!!!!! Hands down....