Noise Problems - What Have I Done Wrong?

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,
Don't know if this should've went in backline or not but here it is.
I just recently wired up my BKP Nailbomb to my RGD321. Sounds like I'm having grounding issues, but everything definitely seems wired up correctly judging from countless charts.
The pickup is 4 conductor, but I'm wiring it up to a 3 way switch. The neck pickup is working fine (which is stock).

I've done up a video to demonstrate.
http://youtu.be/XeY8dJZgIAE

As you can hear, putting my screwdriver on one of the coils seems to cancel out the noise, whereas on the other, it makes it louder. Is this normal behavior? It doesn't happen on the neck, which is noiseless.

Its not game-breakingly loud but if I could fix it, I'd love to. I have two EPs that I need to track with this thing.
I used this schematic to wire it up, but removed the tone knob from the circuit.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ma...neral/humbuckers/2_hum__1vol__1tone__3way.pdf

Edit:

Check the Green and white wires are soldered together and taped off.

After checking I remembered this is what was wrong with my guitar and I had the exact same noise problem.

Edit:

Check the Green and white wires are soldered together and taped off.

After checking I remembered this is what was wrong with my guitar and I had the exact same noise problem.

I thought this might have been the problem too as my inital solder of these two wires was pretty messy, so I trimmed them back and resoldered them much cleaner. Still having the same amount of noise, however the deal with one coil making the noise louder isn't happening anymore.

I'll go back through tomorrow and check all my ground solder joints. I've shielded the cavities with copper tape so maybe they aren't making proper contact to ground (although I'm sure they were).

What kind of bridge have you got? I had a TOM bridge that had grounding issues because the action was too high. The bridge ground wire was connected to one of the bridge adjustment poles and when I adjusted it too high it would stop touching the pole.

Well that's what I think was happening anyway...

What kind of bridge have you got? I had a TOM bridge that had grounding issues because the action was too high. The bridge ground wire was connected to one of the bridge adjustment poles and when I adjusted it too high it would stop touching the pole.

Well that's what I think was happening anyway...

Its an Ibanez Gilbraltar standard. The bridge is definitely grounded fine. I'm beginning to think I might have created a ground loop of some description from my shielding connections. I'm not sure. I'll have to get in there with a soldering iron sometime and redo all the joins.