Non-PP type bands that exhibit PP qualities

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Here's a strange one for you.

The latest Illinois Entertainer rag has a cover story on a band called Umphrey's McGee which you can read here. The author states the following: "... and they’re a jam band for chrissakes. Or are they? Even a cursory listen to last year’s Mantis (Sci-Fidelity) insists that if you’re going to lump Umphrey’s McGee in that bracket, then you need to pull in Rush and Dream Theater as well. Looping, highly technical guitar runs disappear into crushing, Queen-sized choruses and MIT-formulated rhythmic structures – and this represents the band concentrating on reining themselves in. Define them at your own peril."

So...I'd heard of this band for years when I lived in Chicago, and I never even gave them a second look or listen, fearing I would be tortured with endless Grateful Dead + Dave Matthews Band type ramblings. Now I read that they might be considered "progressive metal" when Rush and DT are mentioned in the same context? Could this be true?

Any other possible examples of known non prog/power artists that have made what could be considered progressive/power albums?

You'd have to stretch pretty hard to say Umphrey's has anything even in passing to do with power metal. They are clearly influenced by prog ROCK but they're leagues away from a progpower type band. I've seen them twice and they are masters at what they do and they have an air of nonchalance about it on stage. They are probably the most instrumentally proficient of the major jam bands.

EDIT: the Mantis album is brilliant, so if you're actually looking to check them out I would encourage it. But think less prog power metal and more King Crimson going into it.

About Umphrey's - They're not Deadish, they're actually pretty cool.
Similarly - how well do you ACTUALLY know the music of Phish?

If you're asking me, I don't know anything about Phish.....except that they're the band that had a concert video on VH1 or VH1 Classic or PBS or something that showed them jumping around on trampolines. But, I've heard that guitarist Trey is considered to be quite the monster axeman.

My "jam band" knowledge is very minimal, but I like what could be deemed "progressive", and I would image that many jam bands wander into the progressive arena.

Here's a strange one for you.

The latest Illinois Entertainer rag has a cover story on a band called Umphrey's McGee which you can read here. The author states the following: "... and they’re a jam band for chrissakes. Or are they? Even a cursory listen to last year’s Mantis (Sci-Fidelity) insists that if you’re going to lump Umphrey’s McGee in that bracket, then you need to pull in Rush and Dream Theater as well. Looping, highly technical guitar runs disappear into crushing, Queen-sized choruses and MIT-formulated rhythmic structures – and this represents the band concentrating on reining themselves in. Define them at your own peril."

So...I'd heard of this band for years when I lived in Chicago, and I never even gave them a second look or listen, fearing I would be tortured with endless Grateful Dead + Dave Matthews Band type ramblings. Now I read that they might be considered "progressive metal" when Rush and DT are mentioned in the same context? Could this be true?

Any other possible examples of known non prog/power artists that have made what could be considered progressive/power albums?

as a fan of UM myself they are in no way metal, but quite progressive sounding for a jam band, which they definitely are. if you hear any of their live albums they like to noodle and free form a bunch.

either way, they are great band i actually would have never given them the chance had i not seen that Inside Out Music licensed their "Anchor Drops" album for release in Europe. that made give them a listen and i am glad i did. :)

closest things i can compare them to at times is Porcupine Tree.

the most recent Umphrey's McGee record, Mantis, very much caters to people who like Spock's Beard (with Neal Morse). However, as much praise their live shows get, I couldn't feel any more differently about their shows. The last 2 times I saw them especially, were 2 of the most boring, dragged-on/dragged-out jamband cliched shows I've ever been to. I could not wait until they ended. Sadly, I regard them as now a "jam band" who actually makes better studio albums, than live shows.