Non-typical guitar panning scenario

M-1000

Nov 22, 2011
I'm recording a band with a lot of chugging and riffing mixed together (sort of like August Burns Red). There are two guitar players, I double tracked each of their parts (4 total). Their double are not perfectly tight, but they are good on most sections.

My question is, would it make sense for me to pick the better performances of each guitar and pan them hard (like 75-80%), and then add the doubles in at a lower volume panned around 50%? Things start to sound muddy on the riffs when I make the doubles equal volume, but I definitely still want the wideness/thickness from the double tracking, so I was thinking making them 3-5 db lower than the better takes might help me achieve that.

Thoughts?

If the playing isn't tight, comp the best sounding sections together, use those. Pan them hard. Easy. Are you trying to use all 4 tracks at once or something? Cause that's called quad tracking.

Edit: By pan them hard, I mean 100%. Anything less is not hard pan, is pussy pan.

Yes, as described in the OP, I was asking for opinions on using all four tracks, but panning the doubles in a little bit and setting them at a lower volume so that they just add some dimension without muddying up the notes.

No offence, but it isn't "Non-typical".. if you search the forum you'll find that a standard practice (for quadtracking) is to pan 2 gits 100% and 2 gits 70-80% L/R..
And having the doubles at a lower volume..
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza
Welcome to the forum..

And also.. if they aren't tight, and muddy up the tone.. it could be wiser not to use the doubles..
As you said "Their double are not perfectly tight, but they are good on most sections. ", edit the untight places if you can't retrack and must use the extra tracks..
If it sounds good, it is good..

No offense taken!

Thanks for the link, I wasn't having any luck with the search function on the forum.