noob gain-staging question

I always meter with FreeG to makes sure I'm about -18dBFs, plus I always use a VU meter to make sure I don't get past 0VU regularly. I find that monitoring the VU signal to ensure that it's about right matters a lot with plugins like VCC and VTM, because you are simulating the sorts of signal levels analogue equipment would be using (which these sorts of plugins model).

Question: I record all my guitars at -18dbfs. So why when I use the "automatic input gain" function on the TSE X50 V2 does it always bump the input up 7.5 db? Is that just onqel's choice, or are amp sims supposed to be fed with a cranked input?

Hey guys,

thanks for the info. I do distinguish between peaks and rms at -18 and i use a vu meter plugin. I ask myself why is the default level of superior drummer so hot it's clipping the master Oo. I guess the best solution will be to trim all the channels (when using a multioutput) equally first and than to adjust the relative levels. I'll do a test recording/mix after the tour and wil tell the results :)