Noob question about condenser mics

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I have a pair of Samson C02 Stereo Condensers that I've been working with.

I never quite understood the "stereo" thing....

Am I supposed to have each mic going into a Stereo Input in my DAW while recording? Or do I just let each mic on its own Mono input track?

In Reaper, with my Profire 2626, I can choose Stereo Inputs, say 7/8.....but since I'm using all 8 inputs of the pre, and I have 2 overheads.....I'm sorta confused. I just ran them both on Mono tracks, just wasnt sure if this was the "right" way.

Each mic is a mono input, when you're using the two together on one source they form a stereo pair; you can use two mono tracks (7 and 8) or a single stereo track (7-8).

Each mic is a mono input, when you're using the two together on one source they form a stereo pair; you can use two mono tracks (7 and 8) or a single stereo track (7-8).

By a single stereo track, you mean just use 1 mic? or use both mics, both going to 7-8? Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, so if I'm going to use 2 mics, the proper way to set it up in ProFire 2626 is to have both OH L and OH R going to Stereo Input 7/8? (as in, the input of OH L is Stereo In 7/8 and the input of OH R is Stereo On 7/8?

Ok, so if I'm going to use 2 mics, the proper way to set it up in ProFire 2626 is to have both OH L and OH R going to Stereo Input 7/8? (as in, the input of OH L is Stereo In 7/8 and the input of OH R is Stereo On 7/8?

No, OH L goes into 7 and OH R goes into 8. In the DAW you can set the input of the stereo track to 7-8, or use two mono tracks (one set to 7 and one set to 8).