noob question/introduction

SpitShot

New Metal Member
May 21, 2006
Hello everyone , I'm James and I'm new to this forum. I've been browsing this forum for quite a while and I fugured that it was about time I joined.
I also need help with a new amp I baught a few days ago. I baught a peavey 6505 and a marshall 1960a cab and this is my first half stack and I don't have a fucking clue about them, so I was going to ask do I need to plug the head into the 4 ohm slot or the 16 ohm slot. God I feel like such a dick head for asking this but you've got to start somewhere :)
thanks in advance.

haha, welcome James! This forum is awesome, and there are a swell bunch of chaps in residence here. I believe you can set your peavey to 16, 8 or 4ohms. All you have to bare i mind is that if possible your peavey output should match the cab input. You can also get away with your cab ohms being greater than the head ohms e.g. if your amp out is only 4ohms you can still plug it into a 8ohm cab or whatever - i wouldnt quote me on this 2nd part tho just yet until one of the other guys confirms. To be safe just make sure they match - as far as i remember marshall 1960 cabs are 8 ohms- so select 8 ohms on your head. The bottom line anyway, make sure they match :)

Kev

i think on the cab i can only have 8 ohms if its on stereo ( its a 4 x 12 by the way ) I've got the head on 4 ohms into the cab at 4 ohms at the moment, I just wanted to know if it was right or not :)

Welcome!

(waits for nitronium to come in and pop the question)...

Don't worry James.. this won't hurt one bit.. ;)

And congrats with your 6505!

gah u fuckers are freindly, all the other boards i go on are like "grrrrr we are too metal to talk to anyone!! grrrr" lol

The 1960a is a 16ohm cab. So 16 ohm on the head and 16 ohm on the cab is "the" match. But the can also runs 4ohm mono wich works too ofcourse. Not sure if theres a sound difference between the two? Havent noticed it myself. and yes you are right about 8ohm thats for stereo operation or if you're running 2x 16ohm cabs then 8'n'8. Congrats on the 6505.