Nooby question about micing a guitar amp

looder

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2009
Hey guys!
I'm new to this whole mixing thing so I have some noobish questions... :p
Since I'm new and I currently I don't have the money to spend on a good stuff I'm using what I have.
I have 2 mics, a SM58 that for a reason when I try to use it on the amp, giving me a sound of like it is being recored through a radio, and a Samson C03.
I want to mic my guitar amp and to get a nice distortion which is something I cannot achieve for a reason.
Can you guys help me out with some tips on which on of my microphone's is better (the Dynamic or the Condenser) for guitar recording.
And how should I place the mic on the amp and so on.....

Thanks in advanced!
Elad.

take the screen off the 58 and place it right where the surround meets the cone of the speaker, wouldn't even bother with the samson

Try a combination of the 2 mics.

Search the forum for some cab micing techniques. There are plenty out there.

For starts:

-Use the SM58 close micing the cab. 1-2 inches away from the grille. Put it a little off center of the dust cap.
-Use the condenser for brightness, on another speaker, dead center. You can choose not to use this mic. I haven't had any good results doing this, but other people have? Definitely use the dynamic though.

What cab/amp do you have? That is going to be your biggest "tone factor".

The standard around here for recording metal is..

ACTIVE PICK UPS -> TUBESCREAMER/MAXON OD808 -> PEAVEY 5150/6505+ -> MESA 4x12 -> SM57 -> INTERFACE

Just make sure you get a good tone from the beginning. Don't try to fix it in the mix, because it won't happen.

Again.. Search the forum. There is TONS of good information here.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Cheers, and good luck.

^^

Gotta love them standards right hehehehe..
Generally what has already been said though, mic about 1inch from the grill usually, at the edge of the cone/ cap meeting.
Don't be afraid if the tone is a little bright for your taste, generally I end up screwing myself cause I want more bass and end up dulling the guitars quite severely!!
Better to have some more solid tone in the mids/ highs then expecting your guitar tone to be a bass :)

Cheers

Thank you all for answering ! :)
For a reason when I recored with the SM58 I'm getting a weird recording a radio sound, is there a way to check if the mic is fucked up?
(I'll upload a sample as soon as I get home)

First of all: Which amp do you use? There are some amps which sound like a radio no matter what you do ;-)

The amp I'm using is VOX AD50VT XL its the two speakers model.
Also using Vox Bulldog distortion and the guitar is PRS CE22.

So I have another 2 questions about this topic..

1. I think maybe this "sounds like a radio" issue is coming from the volume area.
What volume should the amp be set for recording?

2. A friend of mine suggested me to swap my SM58 with his SM57..
Should I go for the offering?
Is it possible to record good vocals on a condenser?

Thanks in advanced!

The amp I'm using is VOX AD50VT XL its the two speakers model.
Also using Vox Bulldog distortion and the guitar is PRS CE22.

Meshuggah used modeling amps, but had real cabs mic'd, so it still sounded pretty good (IMO).
Problem is, you're mic'ing up an amp that not only is just modeling amps, but has inherently poor speakers in the first place.

Honestly, for now, just use software amp sims and impulses, because that will sound infinitely better than what you have now.
Save up, buy a proper tube amp and serious cabinet and then worry about mic-ing up

Meshuggah used modeling amps, but had real cabs mic'd, so it still sounded pretty good (IMO).
Problem is, you're mic'ing up an amp that not only is just modeling amps, but has inherently poor speakers in the first place.

Honestly, for now, just use software amp sims and impulses, because that will sound infinitely better than what you have now.
Save up, buy a proper tube amp and serious cabinet and then worry about mic-ing up

+11111111111111111111111111