North America Fall 2012 with Opeth

I really hope both are happening as well, but would much rather see Katatonia headline with PL support than just watch Katatonia as a support act and then leave.

Holy hell - if Katatonia/PL happens I'm going to be a poor man. The new PL is fantastic. I thought they had pretty much given up on the NA market.

Same here. There’s also a lot of slowcore coming up that I’ll have to travel for (Low, Codeine, Mark Kozelek). Right now my calendar has those three, Swallow the Sun, Agalloch, Marduk, Milwaukee Days of the Doomed festival, and is awaiting Katatonia and some other slowcore dates before I can finalize my travel plans.

I’m going to have no money.

I will take Paradise Lost over Opeth anytime. So no!

I agree with this. Opeth did nothing for me when I saw them with Katatonia and I felt cheated that they got to perform much longer than Katatonia, when Katatonia was clearly the better band (I've never heard so many "boo's" before or seen bottles thrown at a band before Opeth). I am not a huge Paradise Lost fan by any means either, but I do like them more than Opeth.

No, people were throwing bottles at Opeth. They were screaming "Bring back Katatonia!" (an uneducated group up at the bar was yelling "The first band rocked, you guys suck!") and "We came to see metal, not Keith Urban!" type stuff while Opeth was playing. When Mikael sat down on the stool, the whole venue seemed to gasp in horror and that's when the crowd started getting ridiculous. Granted, I am not a fan of Opeth and definitely wish Katatonia would have played longer instead, but I am also not a big enough jerk to hurl bottles at bands I don't like. I watched Opeth play their set with an open mind and they had a few good moments, but overall it just didn't compare to Katatonia and I felt cheated when I knew a much more appealing band was sitting quietly back stage.

So Katatonia just announced a co-headlining tour with Devin (alternating headline each date), with Paradise Lost support.

I will definitely make it to Minneapolis and Chicago, and likely either San Francisco+Los Angeles or Philadelphia+New York. Hopefully all 6.

“Epic Kings & Idols Tour” dates

Sept. 4--Seattle, WA--Studio 7
Sept. 5--Vancouver, BC--Commdore
Sept. 7--San Francisco, CA--Great American Music Hall
Sept. 8--Los Angeles, CA--El Rey Theater
Sept. 9--Phoenix, AZ--Marquee Theater
Sept. 11--Houston, TX--Warehouse Live Studio
Sept. 12--Dallas, TX--Trees
Sept. 13--Lawrence, KS--Granada
Sept. 14--Denver, CO--Summit
Sept. 16--Minneapolis, MN--Studio 7
Sept. 17--Chicago, IL--Bottom Lounge
Sept. 18--Pittsburgh, PA--Mr. Smalls
Sept. 19--Toronto, ON--Opera House
Sept. 20--Montreal, QC--Cafe Campus
Sept. 21--Worcester, MA--Palladium
Sept. 22--Philadelphia, PA--TLA
Sept. 23--New York, NY--Irving Plaza
Sept. 24--Baltimore, MD--Rams Head Live

So Katatonia just announced a co-headlining tour with Devin (alternating headline each date), with Paradise Lost support.

I will definitely make it to Minneapolis and Chicago, and likely either San Francisco+Los Angeles or Philadelphia+New York. Hopefully all 6.

“Epic Kings & Idols Tour” dates

Sept. 4--Seattle, WA--Studio 7
Sept. 5--Vancouver, BC--Commdore
Sept. 7--San Francisco, CA--Great American Music Hall
Sept. 8--Los Angeles, CA--El Rey Theater
Sept. 9--Phoenix, AZ--Marquee Theater
Sept. 11--Houston, TX--Warehouse Live Studio
Sept. 12--Dallas, TX--Trees
Sept. 13--Lawrence, KS--Granada
Sept. 14--Denver, CO--Summit
Sept. 16--Minneapolis, MN--Studio 7
Sept. 17--Chicago, IL--Bottom Lounge
Sept. 18--Pittsburgh, PA--Mr. Smalls
Sept. 19--Toronto, ON--Opera House
Sept. 20--Montreal, QC--Cafe Campus
Sept. 21--Worcester, MA--Palladium
Sept. 22--Philadelphia, PA--TLA
Sept. 23--New York, NY--Irving Plaza
Sept. 24--Baltimore, MD--Rams Head Live

How can anyone afford to do that? Rich parents, good paying job? or just save up for vacation?

I basically don't spend money unnecessarily on anything but music/music travel. I keep baseline everyday personal costs (food, transportation, etc.) minimized. Also it's very rare for me to stay in a hotel at a target destination (stay with friends mostly), and I just show up, experience the music, and leave. It will become much easier once I have an actual job and no longer just a graduate school stipend.

Seeing them several times here is way less expensive than seeing them in Europe.