Not Excactly a Review...

SaraScenester

The Coolest Loser
Mar 11, 2007
new york
www.myspace.com
I wrote this for English, to show how "Thane to the Throne" portrays the events and themes of Macbeth.

Shakespeare’s many plays, including Macbeth, have influenced artists, authors, playwrights, and musicians all over the world. In 2000, the progressive metal band, Jag Panzer, from Colorado, released “Thane to the Throne,” and album based on Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Its 17 tracks enlighten the listener as to the events of Macbeth’s journey as he pursues the three witch’s premonition that he will be king. The dark, heavy metal nature of the band helps portray the dismal themes of Macbeth. Other instruments were also brought in to amplify the feeling of the album. Jag Panzer put a late 20th century rock beat behind lyrics inspired by literature from the 1600s to create an interesting concept album that conveys Shakespeare’s themes of corruption and destructive forces.
Each song on “Thane to the Throne” tells a part of Macbeth’s story. In the first track, “Thane of Cawdor,” lead singer, Harry Conklin, screams, “I am mighty. Death follows in my wake. None will stand against my sword. I thank thee Duncan thou art of kingly blood. Proudly I do accept this ward.” The rest of the songs have titles like, “King at a Price,” “Bloody Crime,” “Treachery's Stain,” “Hell to Pay,” “Insanity's Mind, “Face of Fear,” “Fall of Dunsinane,” “Fate's Triumph,” and “Tragedy of Macbeth.” To imitate the three witches, a choir sings over the band’s heavy guitar riffs in the song, “Three Voices of Fate.”
The overall sound of Jag Panzer is perfect for capturing the depressing themes of the play. The minor chords played by Mark Briody’s and Chris Broderick’s loud electric guitars have a sad, harsh feeling that help intensify Henry Conklin’s lyrics and show that Macbeth’s desire for power, wealth, and success ended in destruction and corruption. Track four, “The Premonitions,” features acoustic guitar picking that has a medieval flavor to it. The metallic mayhem of the album is interrupted by two roughly 20 second tracks, “Banquo's Final Rest” and
“Requiem for Lady Macbeth;” chimes, violin, piano, and a choir mark the passings of Banquo and Lady Macbeth. This band did an excellent job at utilizing contrast to help express all the events and themes of this concept album.
The lyrics and metallic sound of “Thane to the Throne” by Jag Panzer convey the plot of Macbeth, as well as the attitudes and ideas. Piano, violin, chimes, and a choir were brought in where heavy guitar sounds weren’t appropriate, such as at the deaths of Banquo and Lady Macbeth. This album is a perfect example of a contemporary creation based on Shakespeare’s Macbeth.