not looking for a rating. Just advice.

midi humanization?

Hey, this could be a useful tip. Can you point me in the direction where I may find more on how to accomplish this?

Velocities too. I maxed them all and it does sound better... Should they all be maxed?

If you would've read your post before you posted it, you would've noticed that it is REALLY hostile and arrogant.

I always re-read it.

ahjteam. have you actually got any more advice for me?

I don't see anything there.... Just ratings.

Earlier you said:

1) you are missing the essential element, bass guitar.
2) get the tone good at the source, not in the mix
3) balance your instruments better

#1 was helpful. Thank you.
#2, well what about it? You are rating my tone. Not giving advice. I posted what my tone consists of yes?
#3, advice? Sort of… but what do you mean? Didn’t I say how I balanced them in my original post?

If you don’t have anything further, then please, either stop replying or go back and read what it is I am looking for. THEN if you have anything more to add Id love to hear it. As long as it gives me something to go on… I am totally aware of “you just don’t like it”.

If you decode what people say and turn it into constructive criticism...

Decode???? Maybe that's the issue here. What are we? Teenage girls? If you want to talk in code then please do not reply to my posts. If you have something useful to add, and want to speak directly and effectively, then add it.

We really don't care about the method because there are several,

I find that hard to believe. No, I'll rephrase. If you dint want to know what I had done to get where I am I wouldnt be interested in hearing anything else you had to say anyway.. Just knowing how I got the drum and guitar tone would tell you everything you need to have better helped out on your useless comments of:

2) get the tone good at the source, not in the mix
3) balance your instruments better

just do it.

Wow. Thats insightful. Thanks.

There are several things that makes me not to listen to the song.

I'm not asking for opinions on a song. Didn't I say up front that its a cover? Yeah, I did. Again, the title of the thread is: "Rate my mix/tone" Or is that code? And it really means "looking for feedback on my song composition"?

First is the guitar tone

What's your advice on it? I did exactly what a lot of others are raving about? I am assuming that there are other steps after DI ing a track, and using the ampsim and cab IR. Again, a reason to post what I DID. So someone interested in helping would know what they are hearing.

second is the sloppy playing,

We covered this.

third is the composition

Composition? Go talk to the writer.... http://anthrax.com/NFWS/ This is just more proof that you aren't even reading my posts completely...

fourth is that I have no idea what genre that is except some subgenre of rock/metal,

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.... If this were a country song the mix would be ok? If it were emo? If it were mallcore? Fuck genres....

and fifth is the fact it sounds like shit production wise.

Another rating...

When you can fix those, I might give it a listen, but I doubt it.

When I can fix it I wont be asking for fixing mixes advice here now would I?

Yeah, I'm new. This isnt awesome. But this is as far as I can get with my current amount of knowledge. I have some recording books on the way to he,p me get further...

What feedback, advice, weak spots, etc can you guys help with?

From my first post. What an asshole-ish arrogant fuck thing to say? /sarcasm

This place is supposed to rule. Nobody here owes me anything. I posted my progress and asked for advice. (and there was no arrogance/hostility/or anything negative ANYWHERE in that post. The existing thread is for RATINGS, (according to the language used to title it) So I posted it elsewhere. You guys didn't like that. So I moved it to the ratings thread. Guess what? I'm getting RATINGS NOW!!!! Hahahaha!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol: Plankis is the first to go down the road and offer some actual constructive feedback and things to actually change. My thanks to you Plankis. Doo doo pointed out the drum velocities. Which was semi-helpful. It pointed out that they were at 70. But nothing telling me why that is bad….

Problem is that there's so much to write about that no one can be bothered with that anymore. It usually has been written several times before. And takes a lot of time typing so everyone understands, this post must've taken a hour writing so it ain't that easy and fun to rewrite same general things over and over again.

I understand this totally. Which is why I wrote that in my sig. People either want to help, and will take the time doing so, or they wont. Like i said, nobody is obligated to help me. If you don't want to, DON'T. If you do, look at what it is I am asking, and then ask questions yourself if you still don't understand what I am looking for. It takes more than most people have to be a good teacher. Being a prick is far easier.

So... again, I have demonstrated what my current mix knowledge level is capable of. Yeah, not much. No worries, all of you were there once too. I don't mind being the noob. We all started here.

I have explained what/how I accomplished what I have. I have demonstrated elsewhere that I am totally open to reading/researching/listening/etc to get my skills better.

If anyone wants to lend a hand and help me improve my results I'd be very pleased to have the assistance. I know its time consuming. I know its work. I know there isn't anything in it for you besides helping another stranger for nothing more than a sincere thank you.

If you don't want to help, I totally understand that too.

But this dropping in and doing nothing more than saying the stuff indicated above, isn't helping any. In fact, it kinda resembles trolling...

Like i said, feel free to ignore. I took the time to word everything in my original post in a very particular way. Saying exactly what got me here. If that direct method of speak doesnt work for you next time I'll post this instead:

"Yo!!!! How brootalz is my mix fukkah!!!!! METALLLLLLLL!!!!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the parts where you tell you make efforts to be objective and where you say you "understand" things don't glue with the rest of your message. It's actually hostile and have that little "you don't do what I need you to do so I'm not happy" that is unpleasant. We all started like you, but there are ways to ask things, and ahjteam was quite right from the beginning to the end even if he started trying to make you understand your hostility. He said at first what was missing, you quickly started to say you were pissed off something. And when people say "there is plenty of ways to do so", it's actually true. Maybe you did not read enough about the basics of mixing. And decoding is quite simple to understand as ajhteam said. A lot of the production process starts with good sound. It's not because you don't really know what is a good guitar sound let's say that it's time for "hey man but you don't say me what a good sound is". The goal is not here to mix for you. And, when there is a specific point where you have no clue, you can ask, but again there are ways to ask it and eventually people would be glad to help you.

A word about velocities : in reaper, open the midi file, see the "velocity" layer, and set everything to max at 127. It will be a starting point to improve the drums, you'll see the interest of velocities immediately.

You are using Reaper, right? In the midi editor, press H and experiment a little.

Yep!

Will do, thanks!!!

I'll look it up in the reaper user guide too. I didnt know if it was a superior drummer thing or a reaper thing.

Yep!

Will do, thanks!!!

I'll look it up in the reaper user guide too. I didnt know if it was a superior drummer thing or a reaper thing.
I think every DAW has some way to huminize midi files in it's own way. Reaper calls it "humanizing" (quite intuitive :p). Cubase has some randomizing options to velocities and the ability to customize presets with the Logical Editor, if I remember correctly

A word about velocities : in reaper, open the midi file, see the "velocity" layer, and set everything to max at 127. It will be a starting point to improve the drums, you'll see the interest of velocities immediately.

This was all done yesterday. I even posted a new mix.

But it'd be hostile of me to point that out right?

I make efforts to be objective from the get go. Then when its obvious that people are replying without reading my entire post it gets frustrating.

"you don't do what I need you to do so I'm not happy"

I don't need anything. The word need is nowhere in my request for feedback and advice.

A lot of the production process starts with good sound.

Yep. Ya don't fix it in the mix. Which is why "how I got here" is very relevant. And why I was very taken back when it was said "We really don't care about the method". :err:

but again there are ways to ask it and eventually people would be glad to help you.

Agreed.

And my original post is an example of this. And if it isn't, please show me where.

Here is a quick guitar and drums mix. Its the start to a cover song...

No bass yet. (I don't own one)

I used Reaper.

The drums are Superior drummer from a guitar pro file. No tweaks. Just some level tweaking in the Superior drummer mixer view. I used some compression. limiting, and eq on the drums. Its just a stereo track, I didnt break the drums out into their own tracks....

The guitars are all DI through my Mbox2. I used nick crow amp sims. With catharsis irs. (thanks Ryan!)

Quad Tracked

100% left 7170 lead
80% left 8505 lead

repeat for the right side.

I used a high pass eq on each guitar track. Eliminating everything below 200

Yeah, I'm new. This isnt awesome. But this is as far as I can get with my current amount of knowledge. I have some recording books on the way to help me get further...

What feedback, advice, weak spots, etc can you guys help with?

Alot of the questions you are asking can be avoided just by doing a little bit more reading around the internet...Nobody here will hold your hand and walk you through the whole process...if anything they will start avoiding alot of the basic questions you are asking because it just shows that your relying solely on one thing instead of doing the work and researching it all..Also there is no end all fix that will make your mix sound perfect, every single mix is different in multiple ways.

When ahj says the guitar tone doesnt work, then to put it in plain english means "it does not work" go back and change it. What pickups are you using? What guitar? What is the signal chain? These are all things that factor in to a good tone. And there is a million different ways you can approach it to improve it.

You asked what velocities were, which is all well and good, but in the time you asked that question you could have went to google and typed in "what is drum velocity" or something of the sort and you most likely can find a very detailed article on it. The questions your asking are very broad. Narrow it down, Focus on the guitar tone, Whats wrong with it? too muddy? lacking clarity? lacking punch? I didnt listen to it so i personally cant tell you, and imo im not the one who should be telling you being im fairly new myself.

Any advice you get on this forum will simply be guidelines, a starting point. People will come across as dicks but you have to brush it off, it happens, But being arrogant right back is not something that flies around here and you will get more harm then help approaching this with that type of attitude. IMO your best bet is to open up the mix and break the whole thing down. Start with your drums. How can you improve the kick. Take that question and go to google and search for it. Do that with every instrument. Then once you think you cant take the mix any further, come back and start asking questions. But make sure you have at least attempted to search outside of this forum on your own first instead of trying to piggy back the people here.

You are using Reaper, right? In the midi editor, press H and experiment a little.

YIKES!!!!

Changing the timing threw this right in the shitter! :puke:

Time to play with velocity.

Any advice you get on this forum will simply be guidelines, a starting point. People will come across as dicks but you have to brush it off, it happens

It sure does.

And apparently its acceptable. I'm suprised Mr Sneap wants his name on this.

I'm no dick so I guess I'll go find nicer folks to discuss these topics with.

Thanks for everything guys.

I was writting a long reply but decided to sum it up: get used to internet forums where people from all around the world post. Some have different ways of saying things, some think they are THE shit and some are the shit and are very humble also. So, bite the bullet and let replies you don't like pass you by.

Jesus fucking christ.

I'm not going to even bother. It seems you want us to tell you exactly what to do, you don't want us to teach. If all you're wanting is a "boost 200hz here and you'll get a pro mix", then just give up now because that's not how it works. If you want to learn then there is a TON of good advice in this thread.

And, btw, when I first started, my mixes were even worse. Much worse. And I got about 2 comments per thread, and 90% of those comments were pretty much worthless. Do you know why? Because the mixes were so shit that there is really no one thing that can fix them. Its just everything is bad. The same applies to yours.

I'm not even going to bother typing this out again, but if you would like to READ it this time, you may find it beneficial.

Less is more if you're dealing with decent tracks (Sup2.0 is decent). But you're not going to learn ANYTHING if you just use the raw tracks. Well you'll be a good engineer but a terrible mixer. Abuse every plugin you have. Compression, reverb, EQ, distortion, whatever. Learn what every setting does.

there was no arrogance/hostility/or anything negative ANYWHERE in that post

The problem is not in the original post, but in the replies. You asked for FEEDBACK, we gave it to you, and I guess your ego took quite a blow as "your baby" was scolded. Welcome to the internet. We might be blunt, but atleast we are honest.

And just to clarify: If you have a question about specific production technique, say micing a snare drum or pitch correction, it goes to the Production Techniques -subforum. If you have a song and you want feedback about it, it goes to the rate my mix/tone -subforum.

PS: I never was a fan of Anthrax (I am more of a Metallica fan myself), so I didn't know it was "I Am The Law", but after listening to it I still think the song sucks (note: personal opinion on the song, nothing against you). And like I said in my second reply, if you are aiming for that 1982 c-casette sound (okay, the song is from 1986, but still), you are now there. It sounds about like Anthrax. Without bass and vocals, played a bit more sloppily. But does it sound good in my opinion? No. Then you replied "nope, that's not what I'm going for", but you didn't reply either what you were aiming for, so pretty much any suggestion is pretty much just shooting in the dark.

We said what we didn't like, but then you come attacking me, morgan and others. Ever heard of the saying "never bite the hand that feeds?"

Fuck, you don't even try to understand, like a kid. If it's a troll it's not even funny.

Go find "nicer folks" to discuss with you, and see what you find man :)