NOT "rate my mix".... more help me out?

stephensonnn2

New Metal Member
Jun 3, 2011
Just recorded a new song for some mixing practise but it just doesnt sound like... like any of you guys on this forum? haha
I just cant get it sounding proffesional enough but im not sure where im going wrong. There are no vocals as of yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31430677/You Vulcan Idiots1-01.mp3

Im using Cubase 6, PodFarm2, An Ibanez guitar, Traben bass and Addictive drums with the kick replaced with a random sample i found, and the snare replaced with the sturgis snare.

I'm just wondering if theres anything i'm not quite picking up on which is making my mix sound awful; and i know a lot of regulars on this forum are good at picking up on things.
I know joey doesnt want this forum to have 'rate my mix' threads for people who wanna sound like him, but i could just use some advice for new recordings i do. Thanks to anyone who can tell me where to fix it!

It's late, and I'm tired and my monitors are super low so if I'm wrong, my bad. As of right now, all I can say is your guitars sound out of tune, and possibly really old. I'll wait for some of the veterans to give their opinions.

Oh right thanks, so you think that maybe a new set of strings would do me good?
I'm not sure when they were last changed but its a floyd rose-esque bridge making it a bitch to change em but i'll give it a go.
What about the rest of the mix as a whole? regarding the drums and overall levels?
Thanks for takin the time to respond

You could just post it in the Rate My Mix section of the forum. Everything sounds really raw, like a pre-pro demo. The guitars sound really muddy and dark, out of tune and undergained. Cut some low-end out of them. The drums could be a bit punchier and louder, too.

Yeah thats the real problem, everything i record sounds like a pre-pro demo, its gettin kinda frustrating but nevermind. I'll have a go when i've restrung my guitar and bass and see if that improves anything. Thanks for the tips

Thats a good thing Zach. I tend to mix really quiet, and by quiet I mean, with my monitors pretty low

Yeah, I was just mainly tired. I just noticed the muddy, out-of-tune guitars. So I didnt wanna say something like it lacks punch when I barely had it turned up.

But now that I can clearly hear the mix, I can say the bass needs a little more low end, a little more punch. But the mix doesn't sound too bad. Just those strings. I would get new strings and track them again. I always track with new strings if I can.

Ok thanks for the help man, should probably get myself some good monitors aswell might allow me to hear the problems better haha. I'll track something new soon and see if it sorts out my problems (Y)