now i know why metallica has that song thats like "KILL KILL KILL" or whatever

NocturnalSun said:
well damn, LuminousAether, I was givin my fuckin opinion not readin out of some Punk 101 textbook... apparently i said ur mothers a $2 whore by the way ur gettin pissed off @ me... chill dude

how does politics enter in punk? I don't hear any bands singing about laws they hate or the corrupt government. Environmental? what is that anyway... the sky is blue? be more specific dude.

And yes, it's a fuckin GIVEN that every genre has its weak and generic shit, but I was just saying that punk rock has far more generic shit than any other genre. u need 2 chill the fuck out or go punch a wall n get ur random anger out hahahaaa :)

You idiot. Have you ever heard about Propagandhi? Dead Kennedys? Even freaking NOFX? Terrorgruppe? Sex Pistols? The Business? Social Distortion? Minor Threat? Dag Nasty? Down By Law? PUNK is the most political genre there is, dammit! It was meant to be music for the working class and/or the politically aware. PUNK is to criticize the government, the established state, capitalism, . 98% of all punk bands are politically and socially aware. And you may claim that punk is easy to play, but the energy and the emotions inside the music is something I never find in any other genre. You obviously think that Blink 182 and Sum 41 are punk. You're so wrong it hurts. Please take your time reading some of these lyrics:

Propagandhi - "Hate, Myth, Muscle, Etiquette"

Mark your point of failing. It begins where you concede.
Hesitate. Procrastinate. Sedating.
All configured to impede your path.
You need a good kick in the ass.
Now take a step back and have a long hard look.
Hold it to the light and read it like a book.
Analyze the past and present to see what is to come.
Now wrap your lips around the barrel of the gun.
Mark my point of failing. It began where I gave in.
Comfort. Convenience. Placating.
Construed to suck me in, to their trap.
I need a good kick in the ass.
As time passed I realized we don't need rules to survive.
Just common sense and means to subsist.
So from here on in I will resist.
I've finally realized. I've found my way at last.
It's finally evident.
We all need a kick in the ass.
The basis of change: educate! Derived from discussion,
not hate, not myth, not muscle, not etiquette.
Intellect, not "re-elect!".
Status symbols yield to respect between sex, species, environment.

Propagandhi - "Apparently, I'm A "P.C. Fascist" (Because I Care About Both Human And Non-human"

Some of my otherwise brilliant and productive friends
(like scoundrels and their flags)
take final refuge in character assasinations;
They ignore the issue and deny the relation between our consumption and brutality.
So you can go ahead and roll your eyes and marginalize me
socially penalize me: play on my insecurities.
And you can feign ignorance, but you're not stupid, you're just selfish.
And you're a slave to your impulse.
And I kinda thought we all shared common threads in that we gravitated
here to challenge the conventions we've been fed by a culture that treats
(living, breathing, feeling) creatures like (biological) machines.
And if you buy that shit then how long 'till it's me who serves as your commodity?
Through (for example),
institutionalized violence and oppression of workers and women raped by sexism
(and how about native americans?).
Do you still insist on feigning indignance (aka: indignation) to reason?
To collective self-interest?
Tell you what- I'll call you on your shit,
PLEASE CALL ME ON MINE.
Then we can grow together and make this shit-hole planet better in time.
So why not consider someone else: STOP CONSUMING ANIMALS.

Randy - "Whom To Blame"

Can you explain our way of treating Mother Earth, the way we're eating from her skin, makes things more complexed everyday we carry on. All our scientists progressions may look spectacular on screen, but right now its obvious that our world dies in between. What if all this rape of nature finds an ending. Then is it possible repairing every single leaf that we have killed. Or has all this explotation been to demanding. And there we stand just wondering and pretending that we dont know why. But every single man knows exactly whom to blame. Cause the killer in this case is noone, no its noone but yourself. Can you explain our way of treating mother earth, the way were eating from her skin, makes things more complexed everyday we carry on. Now it's time to realize one time for all, this won't work out anymore, lets change this ignorance to awareness and respect.

NOFX - "The Irrationality Of Rationality"

Frank, the new CEO had to answer to the board.
The board was getting anxious, and the shareholders were
on a bed, legs in air, ass-cheeks open wide
They were about to get fucked like it was their first time.
When one makes 20 million, ten thousand people lose.
What keeps that one from swallowing a shotgun?

Dan, the company man, felt loyalty to the core.
After 16 years of service, and a family to support
He actually started to believe the weaponry and chemicals were for national defense.
'Cause Danny had a mortgage, and a boss to answer to.
The guilty don't feel guilty, they learn not to.

Helen is living in her car, trying to feed her kids.
She got laid off at work, and her house was repossessed.
It's hard to think clearly when it's 38 degrees.
Desperate people have been known to render desperate deeds.
But when she shot that family and moved into their home,
The paper read she suffered from dementia.

Reactions: duckattack
I said there were a FEW good bands, such as the ones mentioned up there. If you happened to notice, I left band names out specifically for that reason. Also, I listened to At The Drive-In before and they're just not my thing... it's a matter of opinion.

About the only Punk/Skate Music/Metalpunk I listen to is CKy (Camp Kill Yourself), Atreyu, and a little bit of Thursday. and no, I don't consider Blink 182 and Sum 41 PUNK. I don't use specific labels that often and I never gave it thought about what to labvel them. AFI is another good band, tho... granted they may be popular and all, but that doesn't make em suck.

CKY isn't punk at all. And Atreyu is on the borderline between hardcore/emo. Thursday is more or less emocore - not punk. Dude, don't talk about things you really don't have knowledge about. I've been into punk for 10 years now, and have quite a huge collection of records, everything from Anti-Flag to Sex Pistols. I don't want to discuss this topic with someone who really does not know a lot about punk, so I'm finishing off with one of my favourite songs lyrics ever - Refused's "New Noise".

"New Noise"

Can I scream? Yeah!
We lack the motion to move to the new beat
We lack the motion to move to the new beat

It's here for us to admire if we can afford the beauty of it
Can afford the luxury of turning our heads
Adjust that thousand dollars smile and behold the creation of man
Great words won't cover ugly actions - good frames won't save bad paintings

We lack the motion to move to the new beat. Yeah!
We lack... motion
When the day is over - Hey! - the doors are locked on us
Money buys the access - and we can't pay the cost
And how can we expect anyone to listen if we are using the same old voice?
We need new noise - new art for the real people

We dance to all the wrong songs
We enjoy all the wrong moves
We're not leading
We're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not...
Leading

We dance - all the wrong songs
We enjoy - all the wrong moves

We enjoy - all the wrong moves

Here we go!

We're not leading. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat!

Abou said:
Definately. They are just plain fun to listen to.

Indeed. I've seen them live, and they put on a great show. I have all of their albums, and I'm not afraid to admit that. I'm also going to buy their new album when it is released, even though their latest albums haven't been very good - I'm buying it mainly out of curiosity.

eh..im not really too fond of punk, i just think its annoying, to the person who said calling punk "bad metal with terrible vocals" is like calling metal "complex music with guitar solos", wtf were you thinking? seriously wtf was going on up there? complex music with guitar solos is a fucking complement while bad metal with terrible vocals is not. anyway, its apparently obvious that NocturnalSun knows absolutely not one fucking thing about punk, i dont know too much either but goddamn even I know cky isnt punk. is he going to say HIM is punk too?

The Casualties are street punk, which is basically just another term for fashion punk. Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys were around a decade before the term was even used, they're just punk.

Almost from the get-go, punk bands were by and large focussed on politics. The Sex Pistols and especially the Clash in the beginning, and then a whole slew of bands who actually took the politics seriously - Crass, the Mob, Poison Girls, Dead Kennedys, Anthrax (UK), Subhumans, M.D.C., Antisect, Iconoclast, Crucifucks, the Stalin, Discharge... Of course, not all punk bands were political, and were more interested in singing about the general shittiness of their lives, but fuck it, why not? It's not like a lot of metal bands don't have inane lyrics, and believe it or not, some people don't particularly value songs about being evil or whatever. And grindcore evolved out of the punk scene, not out of the metal scene, or rather as one of the few good things to come about from the late-80's 'crossover' deal.

You may or may not agree with the politics (generally left-wing) that most punks subscribe to, but generally they are the most active politically of any music-oriented scene. It's also one of the most self-sufficient scenes around - the emphasis is on DIY, which explains the amazing amount of punk releases available, if you know where to look. There's no need for management or booking agents, the trade-off being that you're probably not going to make a living playing in a punk/hc band, unless you go the Bad Religion / Rancid / Chumbawamba route, and even then you're screwing yourself.

Anyway, blablablabla, I'm sure nobody cares about any of this, but here it is. No need to thank me! :cool:

Reactions: Henrik Main
yes I know nothing about punk. there i admit it

I have a bad case of genre conflict. Everyone wants to call a particular type of music something different, JUST to BE different. I can call Borknagar METAL, but then someone's gonna come back at me and say 'Screw u dude, Borknagar is melodic-operatic-atmospheric-dramatic-death metal. that's why I tend to stray from labeling anything, because the instant I do, someone will shoot it down and assrape it by calling it something else on a more specific level instead of a general term like PUNK, METAL, CLASSIC ROCK, etc.

i know you probably care about my opinion just as much as you care about the little tiny spot o dust on your wall, so I won't talk about 'punk' anymore, since I dont know what the hell im saying.

NocturnalSun said:
yes I know nothing about punk. there i admit it

I have a bad case of genre conflict. Everyone wants to call a particular type of music something different, JUST to BE different. I can call Borknagar METAL, but then someone's gonna come back at me and say 'Screw u dude, Borknagar is melodic-operatic-atmospheric-dramatic-death metal. that's why I tend to stray from labeling anything, because the instant I do, someone will shoot it down and assrape it by calling it something else on a more specific level instead of a general term like PUNK, METAL, CLASSIC ROCK, etc.

i know you probably care about my opinion just as much as you care about the little tiny spot o dust on your wall, so I won't talk about 'punk' anymore, since I dont know what the hell im saying.
I hope you don't think I was trying to dis you in any way. I've been involved in the punk scene for about 15 years now. Before that I was a metalhead, and it's just been in the past 5 years that I've really gotten back into metal. To be honest, I'm totally baffled by all the subgenres of metal that have sprung up, probably more so than you are by punk/hc/whatever! For every punk band I can name that you've never heard of, you could probably name 2 metal bands I've never heard of. Who cares? What's important is supporting the underground of whatever genre/style of music you're into, since that's where everything good starts anyway. I just thought that I might be able to provide a pretty decent perspective on punk, since like I said, I have been very involved in it for a long time.

ooooooo now ur talkin. That is actually one o the bands I forgot 2 mention. The Misfits came thru here (San Antonio, Texas) like a year ago and I got to meet Jerry Only when he got off stage. My friend Neil is a HUUUGE fan of the Misfits so we went 2gether. I'm startin to get into em now that I saw em.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
eh..im not really too fond of punk, i just think its annoying, to the person who said calling punk "bad metal with terrible vocals" is like calling metal "complex music with guitar solos", wtf were you thinking? seriously wtf was going on up there? complex music with guitar solos is a fucking complement while bad metal with terrible vocals is not.
You kinda missed my point, I was saying that it's a mistake to over-generalize.