Now Reading Thread

Meh, what am I NOT reading? I have a book for every room, one in my backpack and one at work - for the quiet moments. Top of the list is the fourth (I think?) re-read of "The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula" by Roderick Anscombe, for the bedroom before I go to sleep (go figure) and over breakfast is "How To Be Idle" by Tom Hodgkinson (just to get me really ramped up for work:lol:). By the beanbag is The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins, along with The Wheel of the Year by Teresa Moorey. For the ads, you know. Just a little light theoretical genetics and/or Pagan theosophy. :D For the - er, ladies - is 78 Degrees of Wisdom, Rachel Pollack - only one of the greatest works on Tarot ever written.

\m/ Hammer

I'm currently reading The Notebooks of Maulte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke. I highly recommend it to Nile, Kmik and Murphy. Its a poetic, better written, and deeper version of Nausea about Being, without the philosophy. Very intriguing style as well--part poetry, part essay, all conjoined with a sort of first person narrative that really doesnt follow any specific timeline.

Just read The Pumpkinification of the Divine Claudius by Seneca. Excellent and short bit of Menippean satire. And also just finished a nuber of short stories by Tolstoy I for some reason, never read.

I'm currently fiddling with The Psychology of Fascism, along with studying Skáldskaparmál and Heimskringlá, both in the original Old Norse. Heim is a pain in the ass, let me tell you. Skál is beautiful, and very elegant and engaging in it's visual imagery, and I'm of the opinion that anyone who can find a translation should read it.

I'm also reading some fluff, mostly Chuck Palahniuk, some biographies, and an intresting little memoir called Traveling Mercies. Also, a very artful novel by Whitney Otto, A Collection of Beauties at the Height of Thier Popularity.

Nice, speed. I'll add this book to my long reading list which should still keep me occupied for the next two years I think :)

I am now re-reading Anna Karenina and I'm slowly losing touch with the world. Usually reading 2 or 3 novels at a time but it's just so good I'm reading only that :) I'm enjoying it 10 times more than the first time through; I simply can't understand how I missed so much obvious symbolism and clues. I especially find some of Tolstoy's narrative techniques extremely fascinating (like his choice not to tell us anything about how the romance between Vronsky and Anna begins and jump straight to the murder metaphor).

First, I'm just throwing around ideas here. Its such a complicated multi-faceted thing, I dont know if it can be reduced to a defined set of causes.

I dont know, I've read the first few pages of Finnegans Wake, and it seems like a lark to me. Maybe its written with heart and soul, but I had a terrible feeling in the few pages I read that Joyce was laughing at the reader attempting to decipher that particular book. he sure didnt write it for common people to read it. I cant remember the person who said it, but essentially the idea was to be considered a respected author of literature, one had to write to the professors not the people. I think Finnegans Wake is an example. And was it harder to write than the Divine Comedy? War and Peace? Paradise Lost, etc?

(By hard I meant that it is the most difficult work to read, not to write.)

If you continue to read I think you will change your mind about The Wake being "a lark". I do understand why few people would want to read a work which takes months of serious effort to get through, written in something that seems to be a whole new language. But for me there are such few works of literature that I really enjoy and for them I have all the time in the world. And why should books be written for common people?

Here speed, is the ending of Finnegans Wake, when the river joins the ocean. Very straightforward and beautiful:

"But I’m loothing them that’s here and all I lothe. Loonely in me loneness. For all their faults. I am passing out. O bitter ending! I’ll slip away before they’re up. They’ll never see. Nor know. Nor miss me. And it’s old and old it’s sad and old it’s sad and weary I go back to you, my cold father, my cold mad father, my cold mad feary father, till the near sight of the mere size of him, the moyles and moyles of it, moananoaning, makes me seasilt saltsick and I rush, my only, into your arms. I see them rising! Save me from those therrble prongs! Two more. Onetwo moremens more. So. Avelaval. My leaves have drifted from me. All. But one clings still. I’ll bear it on me. To remind me of. Lff! So soft this morning, ours. Yes. Carry me along, taddy, like you done through the toy fair! If I seen him bearing down on me now under whitespread wings like he’d come from Arkangels, I sink I’d die down over his feet, humbly dumbly, only to washup. Yes, tid. There’s where. First. We pass through grass behush the bush to. Whish! A gull. Gulls. Far calls. Coming, far! End here. Us then. Finn, again! Take. Bussoftlhee, mememormee! Till thous-endsthee. Lps. The keys to. Given ! A way a lone a last a loved a long the riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."

Hey, that passage is nice. It seems to make much more sense than the first few lines in the book, which I have tried to decipher over the internet not too long ago; seemed like a little too much for me, though. I respect everyone who read that, really. It takes, what, over a year to read that? I guess nothing can ontologically disclose Being ( :) ) and be readable at the same time, but oh well...

It won't take that long if you allow yourself to use some guidance.

To disclose being the work needn’t be hard, but it might need to trigger a feeling of strangeness or freshness in the reader. Just look at the word use in The Wake, almost every word contains many possible meanings (as all words do, really) through Joyce’s punning and that forces the reader to step back and see the words in a different light, create a different relation to language than one normally has, because normally it just is. But don’t take this as an extremely short example of a Heideggerian analysis of Finnegans Wake, I’m no expert on Heidegger myself (and read him more from an artist’s point of view) and I shy away from the use of philosophical or ideological jargon when discussing literature. Sometimes it fulfils a purpose, but most of the time the work gets raped in the process.

I'm currently reading The Notebooks of Maulte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria Rilke. I highly recommend it to Nile, Kmik and Murphy. Its a poetic, better written, and deeper version of Nausea about Being, without the philosophy. Very intriguing style as well--part poetry, part essay, all conjoined with a sort of first person narrative that really doesnt follow any specific timeline.

I have it on my bookshelf, but I've not yet read it. I did truly like Rilke's poetry when younger, especially some of the Elegies. I will check it out.

Now Reading: Sabbath's Theater by Philip Roth - oh, this is interesting. Not the greatest stylist and some of the dick-and-vagiyna mania can become tedious, but one great character (Mr Sabbath himself), some wonderful parodies/paraphrases (Joyce and Shakespeare), some great fun and a beautful Beckett-taken-american-style-encounter with Mr Fish makes for a really good book.

Lolita: I can't understand how so many people can rave so much about the first paragraph (Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins, etc). Yes, some cool alliterations, but what more? I'm not saying it's bad, but so good? It's also strange how he can get away with so much bad, flowery and vulgar imagery. The novel in itself is intruging and I might come back to this when I've read further than a 100 pages.

This passage is lovely, I mean, the little I managed to understand. The problem is really - I've tried to read the first page with the help of Wikipedia and by the time I got to the end of the sentence I already forgot what the beginning was about! And I'm only talking in the level of words, not even "meaning" (and of course "meaning" has several levels, too..)

Murphy I have been very impressed with your posts. I am pleased you have starting frequenting the board. You have excellent "taste in literature."

I love the "concluding" passage of the Wake, though a huge part of its impact comes from realising it is circular and runs into the "first" sentence.

Speed: excellent choice of poetry. Heidegger actually writes on Rilke, Trakl and Holderin. Holderlin, in particular, is magnificent.

Who is this?

booklyzy3.jpg

Modernist literature has ruined literature. I like it, and personally enjoy it, but its generally too intellectual, overspecialized with too many obscure allusions, and not of the heart and soul..

Come on though, isn't Gargantua and Pantagruel (your great favourite no?) absolutely littered with obscure allusions to events in Rabelais' day? Likewise to an extent Gulliver's Travels, Butler's Erehwon and even most satire.

Joyce himself is actually often described as a 'Rabelaisian' writer.

Been reading some criticism on Wilde lately:

I find the notion a text not being of its own "heart and soul" fascinating. Wilde's "The Importance of being Earnest" (I'm quite sure Heidegger would have all kinds of fun with that title in stressing the "being" :)) is hilariously Modern in its amusing discovery that somewhere in literature (and life?) sincerity seems to have died. As critics note, there is no longer the Romantic notion of the "I" to which one can be true; there are instead a plurality of Is. The notion of a text being other than its own "heart" affords us scope for quite an inquiry. I may try and post more here later.

Last edited:
Come on though, isn't Gargantua and Pantegruel (your great favourite no?) absolutely littered with obscure allusions to events in Rabelais day? Joyce is actually often described as a Rabelaisian writer.

I find the notion a text not being of its own "heart and soul" fascinating. Wilde's "The Importance of being Earnest" (I'm quite sure Heidegger would have all kinds of fun with that title in stressing the "being" :)) is hilariously Modern in its amusing discovery that somewhere in literature sincerity seems to have died. The notion of a text being other than its own "heart" affords us scope for quite an inquiry. I may try and post more here later.

Yeah, Joyce took alot from Rabelais. In fact, if I was a lit student, I'd probably write my dissertation on the similarities (in Ulysses and Gargantua). But Rabelais has more of that classical or medieval spirit combining both the high and the low, and so does Joyce up to parts of Finnegans Wake and Ulysses. Jeez, you found me out, Joyce and Rabelais are pretty much my favorites.

Anyway, I've been having a rather extreme existential crisis these days in regards to my occupation and occupational field. I've found great comfort in Horace, Lucan, Seneca, Montaigne, Rilke, Sartre, early dubliners Joyce, Tolstoy, and the occasional page or two of Rabelais or Juvenal for humor. I would also say that I find Sartre, and Rilke's ideas in regards to being and dasein, as related through literature, true nourishment for the soul and mind, rather than just the mind. I think Heidegger understood this, but I havent read, nor will probably ever read him in depth. I suppose he realized he needed a Rilke (who inspired him) or Celan (inspired by him) to fully realize his philosophy. Of course, I am probably wronbg on this, as I have a long stated aversion to the way he presented his thought. And this aversion prevents me from going much deeper than the many Heideggerian comments I read on this board.

My point being is that literature and poetry provides support and enlightment of the soul. In many ways, I think reading such excellent and deep works, does much to unhinge the soul in these relatively soulless times.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Does anyone else get a shiver as they read classical poetry or literature, or Rilke's sonnets, etc? Or am I just a really strange guy?

Murphy I have been very impressed with your posts. I am pleased you have starting frequenting the board. You have excellent "taste in literature."

Speed: excellent choice of poetry. Heidegger actually writes on Rilke, Trakl and Holderin. Holderlin, in particular, is magnificent.

This is getting frightening with Murphy and Kmik. I'm shocked at their grasp of literature, and the time they spend on their posts (which I have come to expect from Nile). I cant get away with posting shit out of my ass anymore with so many well-read people. And I sure dont want to think these posts out...and actually think what I wish to write before I write it!!!

I'm not well read. First of all I'm 18 so I didn't have the time to read that much and the little I read I probably understand very poorly and in teenager way. It seems like I'm well read because I can't keep my mouth shut about what I read and because I read almost exclusively "the classics". There's tons of stuff I'm yet to read... I've never finished Moby Dick because the scientific parts bored me, and I'm yet to read Virgil, Ovid, Cervantes, Ulysses, Proust, Stendahl and many more classics. And I don't actually put a lot of time into my posts. I'm glad it seems like I do though. :p My thoughts are fragmented and I usually don't stop typing at all because then I lose my track of thought.

I'm not well read. First of all I'm 18 so I didn't have the time to read that much and the little I read I probably understand very poorly and in teenager way. It seems like I'm well read because I can't keep my mouth shut about what I read and because I read almost exclusively "the classics". There's tons of stuff I'm yet to read... I've never finished Moby Dick because the scientific parts bored me, and I'm yet to read Virgil, Ovid, Cervantes, Ulysses, Proust, Stendahl and many more classics. And I don't actually put a lot of time into my posts. I'm glad it seems like I do though. :p My thoughts are fragmented and I usually don't stop typing at all because then I lose my track of thought.

Ah, then you're far smarter than I!

I've not read anything explicitly philosophical (classical philosophers aside, of course) in about a year.

I'm the better philosopher for it, too.

I'm probably being a but of a cunt in saying it but I heartily believe that you only really get philosophy once you get over philosophy.

My point being is that literature and poetry provides support and enlightment of the soul. In many ways, I think reading such excellent and deep works, does much to unhinge the soul in these relatively soulless times.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Does anyone else get a shiver as they read classical poetry or literature, or Rilke's sonnets, etc? Or am I just a really strange guy?

You're only strange in comparison to the soulless times your "escaping" from...just like many of us here:lol:.
I spend a lot of time "inside my own head" as some call it - I rather enjoy that unhinged-soul sensation, and I find all manner of inspiration to inaugerate it! Surely it makes the rest of "life" that much more bearable.

I've not read anything explicitly philosophical (classical philosophers aside, of course) in about a year.

I'm the better philosopher for it, too.

I'm probably being a but of a cunt in saying it but I heartily believe that you only really get philosophy once you get over philosophy.

Haha, god, we have such similar personalities. I think we both think the only philosophy worthwhile is that which is lived or can be applied to life--hence, most philosophy post 19th century becomes quite problematic.

Ah, then you're far smarter than I!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but in any event I can't think of an appropriate response so I'll leave it at that and tell you that you too are very bright and if you want to further exchange compliments you can do it in private (messages)

I finished Blood Meridian recently and it amazingly managed to live up to the hype. Bloom called it the best book by a living author even ahead of Gravity's Rainbow, and I'll be unsurprised if I end up agreeing with him (despite not yet having read any Pynchon). I'll hopefully be able to post an in depth analysis at some point. No time right now.

Incidentally I'm currently reading McCarthy's favourite novel, Moby Dick, which for one reason or another I haven't read before. It'll suffice to say that it's brilliant. Also in the middle of The Golden Ass.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but in any event I can't think of an appropriate response so I'll leave it at that and tell you that you too are very bright and if you want to further exchange compliments you can do it in private (messages)

For 18 (is that right?), you're pretty damn bright.

I finished Blood Meridian recently and it amazingly managed to live up to the hype. Bloom called it the best book by a living author even ahead of Gravity's Rainbow, and I'll be unsurprised if I end up agreeing with him (despite not yet having read any Pynchon). I'll hopefully be able to post an in depth analysis at some point. No time right now.

Incidentally I'm currently reading McCarthy's favourite novel, Moby Dick, which for one reason or another I haven't read before. It'll suffice to say that it's brilliant. Also in the middle of The Golden Ass.

So Bloom is the kind of guy whose every word is taken for granted? I don't know. Certainly he seems like a decent guy. Everyone who hates feminism and multiculturalism is. I've read an interview with him however and he placed Dickens with Tolstoevsky in the same list so he certainly got at least one thing wrong (?).

Moby Dick's beginning was so promising... then the whale history started. I cannot understand for the life of mine who needs that in the novel. Perhaps something about categorization and science inability to understand the whale or something? An exaggeration, in any case.