NOW WHERE IS YOUR GOD?!. Posters annoy.

False Joe

Who cares.
Oct 12, 2007
Sheep fucking land somewhere.
_45358636_nogod_pa226b.jpg

An atheist campaign claiming "There's probably no God" has been reported to the advertising regulator.

Posters with the slogan appear on 800 buses in England, Scotland and Wales, as well as on the London Underground.

But organisation Christian Voice has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority saying they break rules on substantiation and truthfulness.

The British Humanist Association, which backed the campaign, said it was not taking the complaint seriously.

The ASA's code states "marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims". The regulator said it would assess the complaint and decide whether to contact the advertiser.

'Peals of laughter'

The adverts contain the slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

But Stephen Green, national director of Christian Voice, said: "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world.

"But there is scant evidence on the other side, so I think the advertisers are really going to struggle to show their claim is not an exaggeration or inaccurate, as the ASA code puts it."

The campaign was dreamed up by comedy writer Ariane Sherine and was supported by scientist and vocal atheist Richard Dawkins.

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, said: "I've sought advice from some of our key people here, but I'm afraid all I've got out of them so far is peals of laughter.

"I am sure that Stephen Green really does think there is a great deal of evidence for a God (though presumably only the one that he believes in), but I pity the ASA if they are going to be expected to rule on the probability of God's existence."

Stephen Green can fuck right off.
Not sure if I totally agree with the whole "Hm. Christians are preachy, I know, we should be. Let's join together under our beliefs. That's not hypocritical" thing, but fuck Stephen Green.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7818980.stm

There's probably no god?

That doesn't sound like the words of a tr00 atheist to me. It sounds like something an agnostic would say, on a bad day. You're not an atheist if you're not 100% committed to your belief!

They had to say probably, since the advertising watchdog whatevers over there require you to back up any claims you make in an ad, and you can't prove there is no God.

Yah I read that but still...I'm sure they could have done better. Probably sounds so suggestive and weak. And yah, it's basically impossible to prove the non-existence of something that's never had any proof of existence to begin with. :loco:

When you're dealing with people who are likely to believe in a god, it's easier to suggest that there probably isn't one, than to completely deny one. That's easier for a person to just dismiss.

Ironically the reason I don't worry is because I believe there is a God. If there wasn't one I would be worried as hell (note: not worried about hell).

If I were a Christian I'd be pissed off at Stephen Green for attempting to speak on my behalf and making me look like a complete idiot with no sense of humour. It's always funny how people in positions like his actually do the people they supposedly represent disservice after disservice. Just keep digging, guys.

If I were in Stephen Green's position I would not be taking any kind of action, except possibly making a statement or whatever. It's not going to do much except to cause people to think about things, which in fact is a positive thing. But I agree with him that there is plenty of evidence for God. Not test tube evidence, and not hard proof, but things which an individual can evaluate and come to a decision to believe.

I wonder who the "stop worrying" is directed at. I think it obviously stems from the misconception of what Christianity is about, seeing it as primarily behavior control through guilt. So are they trying to get Christians to stop believing so they can start enjoying their lives? Or are the appealing to those who are not Christians, but who might be plagued by their consciences about some of their actions? Or maybe it is appealing to non-Christians who are trying to decide if they want to become Christians.

Either way it is a waste of their time, money and effort.

I wonder who the "stop worrying" is directed at. I think it obviously stems from the misconception of what Christianity is about, seeing it as primarily behavior control through guilt. So are they trying to get Christians to stop believing so they can start enjoying their lives? Or are the appealing to those who are not Christians, but who might be plagued by their consciences about some of their actions? Or maybe it is appealing to non-Christians who are trying to decide if they want to become Christians.

The worrying is whether there's a God who will damn you to Hell if you don't worship him to some completely arbitrary degree, from simply acknowledging his existence to devoting every iota of your life to him.

Either way it is a waste of their time, money and effort.

Kind of like religion, amirite?