O/T Dave Mustaine and New Megadeth Record

lupe_m said:
I agree with those of you that say that Dave has really bad vocals when they play live. But, I think his vocals are better than any other band that have cookie monster on vocals. :D
I agree better than Cookie Monster vocals.

Well an occasional growl is okay but to do nothing but growl sucks. I don't know how many cool thrash bands I've heard where singer just killed it for me.

max said:
megadeth is not THEY but HIM. if he wanted to do something special then reform the RIP line-up.

I think I read that he tried to get it back together, but everyone was not on board to do it.

I was surprised to see that Ellefson was not involved. It should be alright though. I think he is too talented to just not do anything.

I'm one of those... yes... I admit... I like thrash with growling... I like Arch Enemy, some In Flames and The Haunted (good to have Dolving back, Aro was great but Dolving is the man), new Testament and so on. But I agree there are some bad growlers too... I never liked Burton C Bells growling... on SOANM you can hear how he tries to growl but it sounds like he's in a beartrap. He got a bit better on Demanu.

I like more melodic singing too, Bush is one of the best singers ever in my opinion and his voice fits the music better than Belladonna (who I think sounded like a glambitch). Joey seems like and ok guy though. And as for Mustaine... his voice isn't good but it gives the songs a harsh edge, which I think is great.

SAZZ said:
i still dont get how he injured his arm by sleeping on it.

Easy. You can get nerve damage if you put pressure on the nerve for an extended period of time. He must have slept on it wrong and put pressure on it at some point, probably his elbow, although it can also happen at the shoulder. I don't remember which nerve was damaged. Surgery is often needed to try to repair it. I work in the OR, every once in a while our neurosurgeons have a case like that. Also, if you ever have surgery, the nurse and anesthesia will make damn sure you aren't having any pressure put on a nerve before they start. Instant lawsuit if you end up with nerve damage as a result of poor positioning as it is in almost every case very avoidable.

Scott

SCott308 said:
Easy. You can get nerve damage if you put pressure on the nerve for an extended period of time. He must have slept on it wrong and put pressure on it at some point, probably his elbow, although it can also happen at the shoulder. I don't remember which nerve was damaged. Surgery is often needed to try to repair it. I work in the OR, every once in a while our neurosurgeons have a case like that. Also, if you ever have surgery, the nurse and anesthesia will make damn sure you aren't having any pressure put on a nerve before they start. Instant lawsuit if you end up with nerve damage as a result of poor positioning as it is in almost every case very avoidable.

Scott

My wife had something like that happen. A nurse did a poor job drawing blood, which caused some swelling in her elbow, which compressed the ulnar nerve. She had to have surgery to have the nerve moved to a different spot in her elbow where it would be free from the compression.

After you mentioned our ages I checked your public profile and saw you job title. Anyway me ex is one. She's my son's Mom. Have you ever held body parts during surgery. She had to the heart on a patient and I think she was still "intering".

I'm probably one of the biggest Megadeth fans on this board, but I'm trying not to get too excited about the reforming of the band, for fear of being heartbroken again. I really hope that it's heavy and fast and stays true to form as the old Megadeth. I love all of their albums, except for Risk, and I think that TWNAH was a really good album, just a step below greatness. Too bad Ellefson didn't wanna comeback along with Chris Poland, maybe he'll change his mind down the road, but I guess he's happy making guest appearances on other artist's album for the time being, much like Jason Newsted has been doing lately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this album will kickass and I hope I get to see Mustaine live because he's the only artist that I've never seen that I wish I had, good luck guys.

On a couple of side-notes, I am pretty much in agreement with the previous posts about kickass thrash bands being ruined by lameass, growling motherfuckers. The few that I do like are Lamb Of God, Arch Enemy, and Beyond The Embrace, although it's taken a long time to get accustomed to the vocals, now I kind of enjoy them. However, bands like Nile and Morbid Angel and Sepultura, I don't think I'll ever like them, the vocals are too muffled and stale and just plain aggravate me.

The other side note is...has anyone heard Chris Poland's album, Damn The Machine? I've been thinking of buying it, but I don't really know much about it, any help would be appreciated.

ThinkAboutYourEnd said:
The few that I do like are Lamb Of God, Arch Enemy
I saw both bands and they were good live. I couldn't get into the chicks vocals in Arch Enemy, although I liked her attitude and that band really kicked serious ass.

SCott308 said:
That sucks. She's doing fine now, I hope?

Scott

Yeah, she's fine, it happened about 4 years ago. Every once in awhile it will bug her. The only other problem she has is that she lost a lot of range of motion in her wrist after the surgery. I chalk that up to the bonehead rehab program that the doctor gave her that just consisted of giving her a squishy ball to squeeze. My dad had a similar rehab experience.

My dad had major shoulder surgery a couple years back, after the surgery he was unable to really even use his hand at all for anything for awhile just b/c of the pain and inability to use his shoulder & arm at all. Anyway, he lost range of motion in that hand and wrist. I go with him to the doctor for a follow-up probably 6 weeks after the surgery and ask him about it and the doctor says "He doesn't need to worry about that. It will come back on its own" I was pissed.