O/T Should Pete Rose be reinstated?

Should Pete Rose be allowed back in baseball?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KY_Fried442

extra crispy
Mar 5, 2002
KY
Visit site
Just curious what you all have to say about the Pete situation. I personally think they should reinstate him. He is the ALL TIME HITS leader. That's too big of a feat to be ignored if you ask me. What he did was wrong no doubt but if you ask me it's no worse then intentionally throwing a 90 mph fastball at another players head and they only get a slap on the wrist for that.

I like Pete as a player but 14 years of fucking lying, give me a break. Put him in the HOF and maybe let him do some bs promotions with the Reds but fuck making him a coach again. I think he has to live with his decisions. If it was any of us there would be no discussion, our former employer would be like F-you.

His record as a player speaks for itself. As a manager, no, but as a player he goes in!! :hotjump:

Buck Weaver Too!!!!!! :hotjump:

DarbysDad said:
I like Pete as a player but 14 years of fucking lying, give me a break. Put him in the HOF and maybe let him do some bs promotions with the Reds but fuck making him a coach again. I think he has to live with his decisions. If it was any of us there would be no discussion, our former employer would be like F-you.
You make a good point. Perhaps fully reinstating him is letting him off too easy. After all he did lie to us about it for 14 fucking years but he does still belong in the HOF. If he would have come clean about it from the get go I have no doubts that he would have been reninstated a long time ago but 14 years is a long time. Hell I hate to admit it but he had me beliving him. It's hard not to believe one of your childhood heros though.

DarbysDad said:
As a Cincinnatian I say DITTO to this quote.

He does NOT deserve to be put in the Hall of Fame. Sure Pete Rose was a great player that at one time deserved to be inducted but he blew it, and big time at that. Here is why I think that the only way he should get into the Hall of Fame is as a paying customer.
He bet on the game of baseball while he was playing. In every clubhouse in every professional ballpark their is a sign on the home teams door as they exit for the field. One line on this sign states IF YOU BET ON BASEBALL YOU ARE SUSPENDED FOR LIFE. Period, no grey area there. This one is a no brainer, its there in your face every time you leave your teams clubhouse.
He bet on his own team. Maybe you believe Pete that he never bet on his team to lose, but I dont. Come on, he idea of gambeling on sports is to WIN money. There is no 100% sure thing in any pro sport EXCEPT that you can throw a game to LOSE in order to cover a spread to win a bet. Hmmmm
He lied to everyone for14 years that he never bet on baseball, and I quote "I have to much respect for the game, and of the fans to bet on baseball" Charlie Hustle should have been nicnamed Charlie Liar Liar Pants on Fire. This was in 1989
At the all star game in 99 (cleveland i think) when he was named to the all century team, he lied again, and got all pissed off and stormed off when asked. "Pete, did you ever bet on baseball"
And now in 04, when he realizes he will never get in, he finally admits it in a book first, then reluctantly on TV. But he has no remorse for doing it.
He is a liar and a cheater, and as a fan of most sports, and as a person who enjoys gambeling on sports, I say screw Pete Rose. He was a great, make that an amazing player, but thats it. Why should he get some sort of special treatment.

Canthraxadian said:
At the all star game in 99 (cleveland i think) when he was named to the all century team, he lied again, and got all pissed off and stormed off when asked. "Pete, did you ever bet on baseball"

It was in Boston, actually.

I think Pete's on-field accomplishments warrant his induction into the Hall of Fame. I also feel he should be allowed to do official baseball things, such as be used in ads and do promotional things, maybe play in oldtimer games... I do not think he should be allowed to manage again. Ever. The first time he left a starter in and had him get shelled everyone would wonder if he really thought the pitcher could get the job done, or did Pete know he had nothing left and had money on the other team. There are infinite situations where a manager could sway the odds against his team without anyone realizing it. I don't think he should have any job where he has game-to-game decision making power. Now, if a team wanted to hire him as a hitting instructor for the farm system, that is a different story. But as for being in th edugout during a game? No. And I am a Pete Rose fan, but he is not bigger than baseball and I don't want the game to be ruined. It has enough problems as it is.

Scott

u dont hear anything about M.Jordan not making the HOF when he was gambling. do u think they will keep him out? its what u do on the field is what matters. i bet AI makes the HOF even tho he had like 11 counts against him in 1 incident. & r u telling me no one else bes on sports? there just not getting caught.

SAZZ said:
u dont hear anything about M.Jordan not making the HOF when he was gambling.

Actually Jordan was making bets on games of golf he was playing. totally differant. Rose cheated by gambeling on his own team. If he bet on his own team he took a dive. Pete Rose is full of shit saying he never bet on his team to lose. He is a liar and a cheater. Who cares about his acomplishments. He was a cheater.

Canthraxadian said:
SAZZ said:
u dont hear anything about M.Jordan not making the HOF when he was gambling.

Actually Jordan was making bets on games of golf he was playing. totally differant. Rose cheated by gambeling on his own team. If he bet on his own team he took a dive. Pete Rose is full of shit saying he never bet on his team to lose. He is a liar and a cheater. Who cares about his acomplishments. He was a cheater.
you think when he bet on his team to lose that he told his players to lose the game for him so he could win some money? i could see if he told his team to take a dive & throw a game or something but its gambling, alot of people do it whether there in sports or a fan. people want to make more money. if i was a manager & knew my team sucked i would bet against them to but i wouldnt tell them to throw the game for me & this is coming from a guy thats not a big Rose fan. i didnt care for him but not cause he was gambling

The guy lied about his gambling for 14 years. He bet on his own team. We're just supposed to believe him that he didn't bet against his own team, just cuz he said he didn't. He may not have bet against his team to lose, but that doesn't mean he didn't bet on his team to not cover the spread. So for all we know he may have been fixing games. And now, just because he's finally fessed up after all these years, that's supposed to just make it right? Bullshit.

As a manager betting on teams in the league he coaches in, he has such a huge advantage over the regular sports fan that would be betting on games. He has knowledge about players and situations that regular Joe's can't even begin to think about.

What he did was flat out wrong. He's a grown man, he made his bed, now he's got to lie in it. Professional athletes, actors, musicians, and such are the last people on this planet that need regular people like us making excuses for them.

Now if the baseball higher-ups would just get some balls and institute some decent performance-enhancing drug testing.

Ty Cobb beat up a man with no fucking hands, Babe Ruths child was not born to his wife. Sammy Sosa corked his bat (but only that one time, yeah riiight) McGwire doesnt use steroids...blah blah blah. Baseball is about the on field accomplishments. Yeah Pete is a scumball who lied and could still be about some details. I also don't think hes really sorry for what he did and I think he sees himself the victim. But hes one of the GREATEST PLAYERS THAT EVER LIVED. No ifs ands or buts. His record could stand forever, cretinally for our lifetime. So put him in the HOF and thats it let him go away and we can be done with it.

I think the problem isn't so much that he gambled or bet on his own team or not. It's that he lied about it. It would be different if he had come forward at the begining and said you know what, yes I did it, I fucked up, I have a problem and need some help. But now, it's too late. I feel his actions have erased his accomplishments. I don't care how great he was. It just doesn't matter anymore.

A Big Fucking NO!!! When all this shit went down back in '89 I was only 12 years old. At the time I was shocked, maybe even a little hurt that he had done this. Throught he years I hated Baseball and the commisioners for doing what they did to Pete. I really believed he had probably bet on Baseball, but, who cares? He was Pete Rose. He should be allowed to do whatever he wants. Now as the years have gone by, I have done alot of growing up. Pete Rose is for one person and one person only. Himself. I used to think he was a guy who cared about the game. Now I realize he has no respect. He sits there and says how he has had to live with this for 14 years. Well Fuck him!! He has done nothing to show he has changed his ways or that he is truly sorry for what he did. He just wants to sell another Autograph so he can put some more money on his horse. He should not be allowed back and forever be out of Baseball and be happy that everyone KNOWS he should be in the Hall. It is a insult to the game if Selig lets him back in now. The thing is Selig is not much better than Pete and is loooking for something to mark his run as commosioner. I just he makes the right decision.