O/T STUPID QUESTION TIME

GregadetH

ENCYCLOPEDIA SLAYTANICA
Mar 13, 2002
Your FKN' face!
Visit site
I've got a question about Windows media player....and no, I don't care if you think it sucks. :Smug:

My old laptop used to put all my music into files by artist and then display the album covers in groups on that file. My new Dell laptop so far isn't doin' this for me.....why?

Do I need to change my settings somewhere?

Not a dumb question at all, Greg...

I'm assuming you're using Windows Media Player 10. Click on the "down arrow," select Tools, and go to "Options...". When the pop-up window appears, click on the "Library" tab.

About halfway down that window will be a section named "Automatic media information updates for files". Make sure that the box "Retrieve additional information from the Internet" is checked. I don't know if you want to select "Only add missing information" or "Overwrite all media information" - I'd probably go with selecting "missing," only 'cause they don't always have the right album associated with the songs. Then, click "OK", and you should be good to go.

Cool man... NFMB now has a helpdesk :headbang:

I actually don't mind using Media Player for video files ... I hate Real Player and Quicktime is just another Apple product (I hate Apple).

But I still use good ol Winamp - coz its small, compact and just plays songs.

Greg, what kinda Dell laptop did you get? I got a great deal on their Inspiron 9300 - and ITS HUGE! 17" widescreen.

aliasp said:
Cool man... NFMB now has a helpdesk :headbang:

Greg, what kinda Dell laptop did you get? I got a great deal on their Inspiron 9300 - and ITS HUGE! 17" widescreen.

I got the Inspiron 1300. It's not as big as yours:erk: but it's still a widescreen. This is a powerful lil fucker.:worship:

dailyvault said:
Not a dumb question at all, Greg...

I'm assuming you're using Windows Media Player 10. Click on the "down arrow," select Tools, and go to "Options...". When the pop-up window appears, click on the "Library" tab.

About halfway down that window will be a section named "Automatic media information updates for files". Make sure that the box "Retrieve additional information from the Internet" is checked. I don't know if you want to select "Only add missing information" or "Overwrite all media information" - I'd probably go with selecting "missing," only 'cause they don't always have the right album associated with the songs. Then, click "OK", and you should be good to go.

That's how it's already set. It has all my mp3s loaded in my music folder as one giant jumblefuck. Weird.

Thanx though.

GregadetH said:
I got the Inspiron 1300. It's not as big as yours:erk: but it's still a widescreen. This is a powerful lil fucker.:worship:

Ah doesn't matter - if you are happy then thats all that counts. Its pretty cool though being able to sit in bed at night with headphones on and watch some late night DVDs without waking up the missus next to ya!

my 'puter is a mutt that me and a friend attempted to build ourselves. Right now its over-clocked and I have this huge fan )for a computer) trying to keep it cool.....

I use Windows media player at my own risk.