O/T: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (redux)

TD

HAS INTEGRITY
Not as god awful as I thought it may turn out to be. True to the original? Somewhat, some new twists. They were on their way to see Lynyrd Skynyrd, so that was cool!! One thing I didn't like was that the group had a mother, so Leatherface wasn't the surrogate mother that he was in the original. He was just a creepy killer guy. Really, this was a hip teeny bopper version of the original, but it is a zillion times better than any of the other sequels or remakes. People need to realize that you just can't capture the 70's the way they were in oh, say the 70's. Having hip teenagers from today acting like it's the 70's, only works for master filmmakers, and it takes a little luck (Dazed and Confused and Summer of Sam did the best job IMHO). BUT, the movie gave me the creeps, and even made my girl and I jump a couple of times, so for that, it gets one thumb up. Worth checking out: Yes. Will I buy the DVD? Heck no. THE BEST PART: It had trailers for THe Matrix Revolutions and The Return of the King!!! As we were getting popcorn and soda, I was telling my date "I hope I see a trailer for either the Matrix or the Lord of the Rings" And I got both!!!

Yeah, it was good. The original was WAY better.
I give this new version an 8 out of 10. Would've gotten a 9 if that fucking rad chick took of her top! It wasn't even see through when it was wet! :(

She was HOT. Her butt shots when she walked to the house were incredible.
I was impressed that it actually did give me chills at times. Most of todays movies can't do that.

Also, an addendum to my initial post. Remakes sucking isn't an absolute: Cape Fear (1992) and Oceans 11 (2001) jumped out at me after I type that, but I would say for the most part, remakes are a bad idea. If the mighty Tim Burton can mess one up, then it is a hard theing to do.

It was horrible and I want my time and money back. And I didn't pay. Let's call it pain and suffering.

I'm afraid to watch the original now.

I thought it was pretty good. I'm with TD in not liking Leatherface having a living mother this time. I guess the old man from Full Metal Jacket was supposed to be the cook. If not he sure as hell reminded me of him. He did a great job in this flick. The biggest problem I had was no hitch hiker!

Yeah I liked this one as well. Good movie for the halloween time. Did anyone see the trailer for the Dawn of the Dead? I was watching it thinking "this better not be what I think it is" they were showing zombies then a mall setting , so fuck it they went and did it. a remake of Dawn of the Dead, hopefully its at least as good as the Texas remake was. And speaking of Tim Burton did you see the preview for Big Fish? Now that looks like classic Burton, I can't wait for this one. Looks like Scissorhands and Amelie, with Alice in Wonderland all jumbled up.

Dawn of the dead looks oh so much worse and with no romero involvement, it will suck!! At least. tobe hooper was exec. producer on this remake.

I liked Cape fear and the thing remakes. I didn't even mind the remake of night of the living dead.

This movie, if not a remake, would be considered decent but I could have done without the blair witch ripoff sequences.

TD said:
She was HOT. Her butt shots when she walked to the house were incredible.
I was impressed that it actually did give me chills at times. Most of todays movies can't do that.

Also, an addendum to my initial post. Remakes sucking isn't an absolute: Cape Fear (1992) and Oceans 11 (2001) jumped out at me after I type that, but I would say for the most part, remakes are a bad idea. If the mighty Tim Burton can mess one up, then it is a hard theing to do.
gone in 60 seconds was a pretty good remake!

I enjoyed the remake of TCM as well. It was a film that needed some updating and some more blood and gore and we got that. Even though it was creepy I didn't get scared at all during it but the original still disturbs the hell out of me every time I see it. I think the original left more to the imagination as to what Leatherface really did to kill his victums and what became of them afterwards. I think Leatherface came off as more psycho in the original because not as much was revealed about the character and his motives. Him oinking and squeling like a pig in the original instead of talking also made him come off as more insane than he did in the new one.

Jessica Beil's(the red head) is HOT AS HELL. Both her and the police officer did a very good acting job in the movie which is rare in a bloody horror flick.

Rock On!

The original is classic in sooooo many ways. It does leave a lot to the imagination, but so many other things work. Notice how there is hardly ever (if at all) music in the background, no soundtrack, which gives it an almost documentary like feel. The original is fun to watch on DVD with the commentary on.

Jono said:
the only Dawn of the Dead DVDs i can find are on ebay and are too much. but i found out they will re release it on DVD in november

-Jono-
Did you hear about the Day of the Dead being released?