Obligatory Mid-Year Highlights Thread

Good job listening to a shitload of music :)

Thanks! I did it all by myself. :)

(Non-sarcastic aside: I hope my post didn't come across as some hipster bullshit; I'm not sharing to show off. In contrast to the music list: I've only watched two movies that came out this year, I don't play video games, haven't met too many people since moving so I don't go out too much, and I work in front of a computer about ten hours a day...it's pretty sad but reading and listening to music are a decent portion of my day.)

(Non-sarcastic aside: I hope my post didn't come across as some hipster bullshit; I'm not sharing to show off. In contrast to the music list: I've only watched two movies that came out this year, I don't play video games, haven't met too many people since moving so I don't go out too much, and I work in front of a computer about ten hours a day...it's pretty sad but reading and listening to music are a decent portion of my day.)
It's the same for me. Just that I didn't listen to any new music or read any books.

:(

Not hipster at all. Wish I could find that much worthy stuff

My definitive list would look as follows:

Hall of Fame:
1. SOILWORK - The Ride Majestic
(after the already great The Living Infinite, they manage to top it with probably their best offering to date, killer album from start to finish)
2. CRUCIAMENTUM - Charnel Passages
(totally living up to the promise of their previous releases and more! A dark and utterly crushing Death Metal masterpiece!)
3. MGŁA - Exercises in Futility
(a lot of buzz around this band, already with their previous album With Hearts Toward None, but after some attempts, the coin dropped for me with this new album. Very good Black Metal, cold, desperate, angry and musically very competent, great discovery!)
4. ARCTURUS - Arcturian
(great comeback album! Arcturus is bit hit or miss for me, loving their 1st and 3rd album, but hardly caring about their 2nd and particularly their 4th effort. This 5th album is however a sure hit! The whole band simply delivering a great performance in every way!)

Honourable mentions, good but not great:
5. TRIBULATION - The Children of the Night
(loving their killer debut, the follow-up was a bit of a disappointment. This new album is better than its predecessor, but still nowhere near the debut (though comparisson is somewhat futile, considering the change in style). Enjoyable album nonetheless!)
6. PARADISE LOST - The Plague Within
(was somewhat psyched about this and had good hopes after the previous 3 album that were all awesome, but after quite some listening I have to say it lacks the quality of its 3 predecessors)
7. KEEP OF KALESSIN - Epistemology
(loving Armada when it came out, the 2 follow-ups didn't do much for me, this album however, made me smile a bit again, especially the titletrack is really good)
8. MY DYING BRIDE - Feel the Misery
(it's amazing how this band, after all those years, still manages to nail the atmosphere of chilling sadness and utter despair. Not their best album, but solid at least)

Last edited:
I'm honestly a little surprised no one mentioned the Blind Guardian album here. It was a solid album, I quite enjoyed it. Same with the new Amorphis.

And I really liked the new Maiden album too... Their best in the past 15 years (since Brave New World).

I'm honestly a little surprised no one mentioned the Blind Guardian album here. It was a solid album, I quite enjoyed it. Same with the new Amorphis.

And I really liked the new Maiden album too... Their best in the past 15 years (since Brave New World).
New Maiden album was very disappointing for me. Don't know if I mentioned it here, but what they really need is a producer who dares to speak out to them and say enough is enough! Long songs are not automatically better! The songs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, soooo many utterly useless, boring and directionless parts. The only album I really enjoyed since Bruce rejoined is A Matter of Life and Death, it's got good melodies that stick and a somehow inspired and passionate delivery. Brave New World has got its moments too I admit.

Anyway, I've never been a Blind Guardian fan, or a fan of German power metal in general for that matter. Tried the new Amorphis, but it sounded to me like more of the same..

I liked the Anna von Hausswolff song you used for this video but when I checked the full album out I found out that it was the only song I liked. Which is too bad because it's a really good song!

I have to agree with @MadTinus for this. Songs are too long. It's like they are not cohesive. I listened to the album twice when it came out and I have actually forgot all about it until I read this post :lol:

The last good Iron Maiden album was also A Matter of Life and Death.

I only just started the album, but the song actually started right when I read this post :tickled:

Edit: It's a decent song I guess, but I'm not really that into her music. I guess it was only Evocation that I really liked