Obligatory Mid-Year Highlights Thread

I checked out a lot of the bands posted but they are mostly death/black metal. I'm more focused on doom these days, the new Electric Wizard was good but I dunno I think they went over the top with the in a long hallway production sound.

Really looking forward to new Swallow the Sun, but I've been out of touch with new music lately don't really know where to look.

In addition to the Bell Witch album I mentioned, you may enjoy:
Dead Woman's Ditch (ex-Electric Wizard), | (folkier black metal), and/or Monolord (psych, doom metal – Electric Wizard-esque).

So far:

1. ARCTURUS - Arcturian

Other interesting albums:
PARADISE LOST - The Plague Within (pretty good, but I'm not overwhelmed yet)
KEEP OF KALESSIN - Epistemology
TRIBULATION - The Children of the Night

I hope for some more true killers, so far there's not too much to cheer about.
Other killer albums recently released:

CRUCIAMENTUM - Charnel Passages
SOILWORK - The Ride Majestic

So far:

1. ARCTURUS - Arcturian

Other interesting albums:
PARADISE LOST - The Plague Within (pretty good, but I'm not overwhelmed yet)
KEEP OF KALESSIN - Epistemology
TRIBULATION - The Children of the Night

I hope for some more true killers, so far there's not too much to cheer about.

Huh. Arcturian is by far the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Doesn't sound like them at all. Nothing weird going on.

There are lots of killer albums out this year. Start with Alkaloid, Sulphur Aeon, Arena, Cain's Offering, Amiensus, Thy Catafalque, Outre, Temple of Baal, Nile, Moonspell, Mgla, Nightfell, Obsequiae ...

I could go on, but give any of those a go if you haven't already...

Huh. Arcturian is by far the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Doesn't sound like them at all. Nothing weird going on.
The album needs some time, there's plenty of weird stuff going on (Warp is a phenomenal track), a signature and quality Arcturus album, much better than Sideshow.. It's their best together with The Sham Mirrors and Aspera i.m.o.

I like Sideshow. I really like Shipwrecked Frontier Pioneer,, Evacuation Code Deciphered and even Hufsa among others. I think the production is weak; it's a bit muffled and the mix is stale, which contributes to its "poor" reputation with fans. But, song for song, it's quite solid.

I'm adding Paradise Lost - The Plague Within to my list. It was a huge disappointment at release but I have really come to like it the last two weeks.

Waiting for Deftones to dominate :)

Looks like that may not happen until next year.

From a recent interview:

To be completely honest, we still don’t have a title yet. Our label came to us and said we could wait wait until the first quarter of the new year—which works much better for us. That’s the plan right now but don’t hold me to it. We don’t even have song titles nailed down yet. I couldn’t even tell you one now if I tried.