Obsolete Guitar Sound

evilmanny said:
mmm, I'm not sure, I think his marshall was nicked after obsolete. And I remember digimortal being a massive change into the line6 stuff.

could be wrong though... I wasn't there ;)

You are correct. I got the chance to hang out with Dino and band during the Obsolete tour. We spent some time the day before the show talking shop and such. What happened was during the Obsolete tour the gear trailer was broken into and Dinos Marshalls were stolen. This resulted in a I need a new amp like tonight mode. So he hit a local music store and the only thing he could get a decent tone dialed into was a Line 6 Flextone II.

So he finshed the tour with that head but Obsolete was recorded with the Modded JCM800 (if you could even call it a JCM800 after the techs got done with it haha).

Talk to Dino breifly after the tour and he spoke of using a POD on tracks that he was cutting for a video game (forget what game it was) and he then decided to add a POD pro to his rigg and use that too.

Here it is....
bc_1.jpg

evildonkeymaster said:
Talk to Dino breifly after the tour and he spoke of using a POD on tracks that he was cutting for a video game (forget what game it was) and he then decided to add a POD pro to his rigg and use that too.

The game wasn't Freaquency was it?

Having owned a Moded 2203 (probably the best amp I ever had) + an EMG81 equipped guitar at the same time , I can confirm this. Demanufacture sound was easily achievable. As for the later albums, I don't know.

~BURNY~ said:
Having owned a Moded 2203 (probably the best amp I ever had), I can confirm this. Demanufacture sound was easily achievable. As for the later albums, I don't know.

Yep to achieve it easily you have to use a guitar tuned to flat B or at least C#.
All the low end on Demanufacture is beacause of the lowtuning I think.
Anyway that album, as we all know, it's so modern and "tight-sounding".

Maurizio

Deus.exe said:
Sinister Mephisto: The game was Messiah

The games main charachter was a Cherrub like Cupid. A very original game.

Cool, thank you. I only ask because I think FF did a song for that game but I don't think it was that early. Anyway I know some people involved with the game, so that's why I asked. I'll have to check out messiah, thank you!

Sinister Mephisto said:
Cool, thank you. I only ask because I think FF did a song for that game but I don't think it was that early. Anyway I know some people involved with the game, so that's why I asked. I'll have to check out messiah, thank you!

Check out the Hatefiles album, they have the song on there.... It kicks ass...

And def check out Messiah, it kicks ass, there was a sequel also if I remember correctly...

kaomao said:
Have you evere tried a JCM800 with a screamer in front of it and scooped it a lot in the mids area?
I did it and it sounds like "Demanufacture".
Demanufacture is a JCM800 with a soldano mod, or something like that I think.

Maurizio

Nope, not Soldano. Some Russian guy I think. I'm pretty sure Mark Cameron (amp modder that works for Bogner) knows who it is and may even know the mod.

The amp and guitar sound on Demanufacture and Obsolete are the same, the only difference is in the way it was recorded: guitars on Demanufacture recorded to digital and guitars on Obsolete went down to analog tape.

Obsolete is 100% a modded JCM800. It had at least a gain mod, where that weirdish tight fuzz-style distortion comes from. Demanufacture was a non-modded JCM800 with a Mesa/Boogie cab (unknown model though) on a 6-string ESP with EMG pickups tuned between B and D, depending on the song.

I had an old guitar world from 1998 and Dino said he used the same modded JCM 800 on Demanufacture and Obsolete. Then it got stolen out of his tour bus I think. He said it was like a member of his family died. It also stated he used a Marshall cab with vintage 30s.