October is Type O Negative Awareness Month

SonOfNun

Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
This is my favorite Type O clip and has been for many years.

I'm incredibly thankful I got to see them on the Dead Again tour before Pete passed away, God rest his soul. I still consider it my favorite show. What an incredible presence that man was.

Share the Type O things here.

You have my support. I bought the LP box set months ago and have been waiting until this month to break it open.

First and only Type O Negative show was seeing them open for Coal Chamber in 1999. How backwards.

I remember Peter bantering about how they needed to get off the stage because all the Coal Chamber fans needed to go to bed and go to school the next day.

Anyway, that was the World Coming Down tour, and that album remains my favorite.

Ordered an October Rust shirt a couple weeks ago. Anxiously awaiting its arrival!

Love all the releases. World Coming Down is their best.

I jumped on board back in the October Rust days and followed them to the end.

First heard them when Black No. 1 was released. Loved that song. Made a wallpaper on my Windows 3.1 computer that said BLACK BLACK BLACK NUMBER 1. Then I borrowed Bloody Kisses on cassette from a friend. Sadly the rest of the album kind of bored me, as I considered them "too slow" at the time. Youth. Bah.

A few years later, I heard something magical playing in the local mall music store (Sam Goody), and I asked the counter person what it is. "Dude, it's the new Type O Negative, October Rust." I made the Keanu/Whoa face that day and have held it for 24 years and counting. Bloody Kisses became my soundtrack to college within a few years.

Saw them live twice. One time Celtic Frost opened for them, and that was historically backwards but holy moly, what a fuckin' show. Worst album is Dead Again and I still think even that one is pretty great. All the others could be my #1 at any given moment, it really just depends on my mood and the weather/season/air/atmosphere.

Last edited:
You have my support. I bought the LP box set months ago and have been waiting until this month to break it open.

Brilliant. That will be a treat. I'm looking to get October Rust and Dead Again on vinyl soon.

First and only Type O Negative show was seeing them open for Coal Chamber in 1999. How backwards.

I remember Peter bantering about how they needed to get off the stage because all the Coal Chamber fans needed to go to bed and go to school the next day.

Anyway, that was the World Coming Down tour, and that album remains my favorite.

Ordered an October Rust shirt a couple weeks ago. Anxiously awaiting its arrival!

:lol:

I'm planning to get one of those shirts too. I'm trying to decide on short or longsleeve, but I figure longsleeve would be more appropriate since it's gonna be worn out every October.

Love all the releases. World Coming Down is their best.

I jumped on board back in the October Rust days and followed them to the end.

I've always been partial to October Rust. I got into them with Life is Kililng Me which came out around the time I was getting into metal as a teenager. I wish they'd had more time.

First heard them when Black No. 1 was released. Loved that song. Made a wallpaper on my Windows 3.1 computer that said BLACK BLACK BLACK NUMBER 1. Then I borrowed Bloody Kisses on cassette from a friend. Sadly the rest of the album kind of bored me, as I considered them "too slow" at the time. Youth. Bah.

A few years later, I heard something magical playing in the local mall music store (Sam Goody), and I asked the counter person what it is. "Dude, it's the new Type O Negative, October Rust." I made the Keanu/Whoa face that day and have held it for 24 years and counting. Bloody Kisses became my soundtrack to college within a few years.

Saw them live twice. One time Celtic Frost opened for them, and that was historically backwards but holy moly, what a fuckin' show. Worst album is Dead Again and I still think even that one is pretty great. All the others could be my #1 at any given moment, it really just depends on my mood and the weather/season/air/atmosphere.

Great stuff. I came up in the internet age in a tiny town so I don't have as many neat record store stories. I do remember going to a metal shop with my grandmother and her refusing to buy me a Testament CD. Another that stands out is meeting Mike Akerfeldt on the street before the first gig I ever attended and then seeing him again in a local record store a bit later.

I actually really enjoyed the direction they were going in with Dead Again. I like every song and a couple of them are among my favorite overall Type O Songs ("These Three Things.") I thought it was an improvement over Life is Killing Me. It was still Type O but there was a fresh (hopeful?) sound.

I know not everyone's into covers and "in the style of" stuff, but I've always thought this was great. Made the song listenable! This is now the only version I hear in my head when I think of the song.

This is probably one of the last interviews Pete did before he passed. I imagine he was a difficult person to interview with his sense of humor (you can tell the interviewer struggled). There are, of course, hilarious moments, but also some really poignant ones. He understood some deep truths about the human condition.

"Left wing, Right wing, Chicken wing!"

I could see you digging the first Type O Negative album and Carnivore stuff. Lines up with your angry-core type of things you spake of a few weeks ago. Maybe.

If you ever want to try and "get" them as a band I can only recommend the After Dark VHS and watch with band commentary. It's probably my favoUrite work of comedy outside of Mel Brooks and Monty Python.

Personally I've learned more about Life from Type O Negative than I have from any other band. Songs I've loved for decades continue to teach me new things as I increase my personal number of spins on this globe. Powerful stuff that only gets better with time... a rare gift, and I forever thank them for it.

Tool taught me art.
Danzig taught me darkness.
Type O Negative taught me reality.
Agalloch taught me nature.
Ulver taught me experience.

Yep, that's a NAD Top 5 right there.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
1079.jpg

No, sir. I don't like it.

Personally I've learned more about Life from Type O Negative than I have from any other band. Songs I've loved for decades continue to teach me new things as I increase my personal number of spins on this globe. Powerful stuff that only gets better with time... a rare gift, and I forever thank them for it.

Pete is one of those people that understood the human condition and the redemptive nature of suffering. That's why I like the interview I posted above because it really comes out there. Life is heaven and hell, joy and suffering, serious and a laugh; Type O Negative captured that in their music.

Bumping my own Type O thread because I can and it's October 1st.

Just heard this song recently after picking up the "Everything Dies" single CD. From the World Coming Down sessions. Sweet Trad Doom riff.