Odd feedback noise. can't figure it out, help!

DigiV

Jun 8, 2009
WTF is this:

All of a sudden my 6505+1x12 starts making odd feedback noises, the kind where if i move the guitar around the sound changes with the direction of the guitar to the amp. The thing is, it only happens with my EMG equipped guitar. With other guitars there's no noise at all and sounds normal. This obnoxious sound happens even when your hands are over the strings so it can't be just accessive feedback.

What gives? Could it be the battery in the guitar? I tested it with the good ole' tongue trick and it still sparks. Also, the EMG guitar sounds fine through my solid state little practice amp. So, could it be a tube issue? But why does the amp sound totally normal with other guitars? Would a loose tube cause this problem with the EMG's highoutput ?

This is annoying.

Update on this damn situation:

My 30 days approaches before i can't return this thing to guitar center. I opted to take it to a tech so he could see if there was a bad preamp tube making this noise.

the situation:

the amp makes no funny noises when a guitar is not plugged in or when the volume is completely off. banging on the amp does not reveal anything suggesting a microphonic tube issue. it's also not the guitar cuz the guitar was checkd and everything is fine.

so what's going on? well, the amp is fine when there is no boost or pedals running into it, or when the gain is at a middle setting around 4 or 5, or when the guitar volume is turned down or the master volume is turned down.

when the pregain is at 6+ and the volume is at 4+ the feedback and noise is so unbearable it's impossible to deal it. wtf is going on? The tech has suggested that it's prob the amp design which can't handle that much power. the feedback is soo damn loud,soon as soon you stop playing or when your hands are just over the strings the guitar is making ridiculous amounts of noise.

how can this amp not handle that? i mean really? it's gotta be a preamp tube issue right?

anyways, i'll know in a few days. if it's truly the amp design im' returning it. :mad: