Odin's Court Kicked ASS Last Night!

savabich2

Aug 9, 2005

Caught the Zero Hour show last night in Brooklyn and have to say Odin's Court was outstanding. Their music is an excellent blend of solid song writing and tecnical playing without too much wankery. some of the melodic solo sections dragged on a bit but overall I would have to say they were the best band of the night.

Zero Hour, while technically amazing- their songs do nothing for me. There's no chorus, no hook, just a lot of quirky time changes and angular riffs. While it's nice to have two hot twins playing bass and guitar, doesn't give me enough to hold my interest if the songs aren't there.

Suspyre also put in an outstanding performance, somewhere between prog and power metal. Great musicians in all three of these bands.

I was pretty disappointed with the opener- the void. For some reason I was expecting a combination of October Thorns and Zandelle- two of my favorite Brooklyn bands but they weren't powermetal like Zandelle with the hyper fast chugging guitars and awesome fun lyrics about dragons and warriors and stuff and they didn't showcase any of the super technical playing of October Thorns.

Pretty creepy, they didn't interact with the crowd at all, just plowed through their set and barely looked up. Never said nothing, lol.

I guess I'm from the 80's metal scene when it comes to live shows, I like the "How y'all doin' tonight?!" and "Don't forget to tip your waitress and bartenders!" schtick.

I dug the music all right and really like their myspace but live, I wasn't diggin their vibe.

The show was really cool, the Hook is starting to do these massive 18+ shows with under 18 allowed with a parent. I think that is so cool, it's great to see the enthusiasm of fresh faces in the scene around here, even if they are covered in acne, lol.

\m/

It would be pretty hard to say something like that as a matter of FACT, lol.

Yeah, it's my opinion. I don't remember one single catchy thing about Zero Hour's music. However, amazing technical players. Just not my kind of music.

Caught the Zero Hour show last night in Brooklyn and have to say Odin's Court was outstanding. Their music is an excellent blend of solid song writing and tecnical playing without too much wankery. some of the melodic solo sections dragged on a bit but overall I would have to say they were the best band of the night.
Wow, thanks!!! :headbang:

It's nice to hear such praise after all the work we put into this. It's cool that you picked up on the "excellent blend of solid song writing and tecnical playing without too much wankery". When I compose songs my intent is to make them songs that flow and have groove while still incorporating prog elements like changing meters, complex rhythms, layers, etc.

You should have introduced yourself. We always love meeting new folks, and being a new area it is extra cool. By the way, we have a forum here on Ultimate Metal if you ever want to stop by and "hang out" with us. :)

Zero Hour, while technically amazing- their songs do nothing for me. There's no chorus, no hook, just a lot of quirky time changes and angular riffs. While it's nice to have two hot twins playing bass and guitar, doesn't give me enough to hold my interest if the songs aren't there.
They are definitely a band that takes a few listens to appreciate. After a while the chaos really starts to make sense and come together. Truly amazing musicians, and equally as cool people! Definitely not for everyone though.

I was pretty disappointed with the opener- the void. For some reason I was expecting a combination of October Thorns and Zandelle- two of my favorite Brooklyn bands but they weren't powermetal like Zandelle with the hyper fast chugging guitars and awesome fun lyrics about dragons and warriors and stuff and they didn't showcase any of the super technical playing of October Thorns.
I really enjoyed them myself. I thought their song writing was good, and the lead singer was GREAT! Between him and Chris (Zero Hour) on vocals and Jason (Zero Hour) on guitar it really inspired me to practice harder!

The show was really cool, the Hook is starting to do these massive 18+ shows with under 18 allowed with a parent.
The Hook was great! I thought it was a cool place, I liked the location (ample parking, well lit, no one around other than patrons of The Hook), and they are very supportive of metal. I hope some people will check out other shows there.

Savabich2,

Thanks so much for all the kind words about our set! I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to start a thread here to express your feelings about us too!

I'm personally a HUGE fan of ZH, but I know that not everyone will like that crazy technical riffing. I think that they do have song structure that reveals itself with repeated listening, perhaps you wil like them one day.

I, too think its cool that The Hook is starting these metal shows! We need more clubs like that! I'm sure we will return sooner than later, I just want a better way than the stupid Holland tunnel to get in and out! It is completely ridiculous to be caught in a major backup at 1am trying to leave!!!

I really wish you had introduced yourself! I think I may know who you are, but we didn't talk. :(

Hey savabich2, even though our music doesnt catch u, I want to thank you for coming out and supporting the prog metal show at The Hook. Im very stoked to hear you dug Odin's Court and Suspyre, both these bands rule!

I saw that you were helping promoting the show on the board and want to say thank u for doing that.

Metal
Jasun/ZH

I, too think its cool that The Hook is starting these metal shows! We need more clubs like that! I'm sure we will return sooner than later, I just want a better way than the stupid Holland tunnel to get in and out! It is completely ridiculous to be caught in a major backup at 1am trying to leave!!!

I really wish you had introduced yourself! I think I may know who you are, but we didn't talk. :(
Oh Lord, you took the Holland!? Nightmare central nearly any night. Where were you heading? There's always another route from anywhere to anywhere in NYC. :cool:

OdinsCourt said:
They are definitely a band that takes a few listens to appreciate. After a while the chaos really starts to make sense and come together. Truly amazing musicians, and equally as cool people! Definitely not for everyone though.
Very true. I have to admit, while I enjoyed the first 4 songs or so of their set at PP, I didn't have enough appreciation for the style to stick it out all the way through. That and the lure of socializing. :kickass:

Seeing them in the intimate environment of the Proghouse gave me a much deeper appreciation. I listened to them on my iPod endlessly after that and was totally enraptured by their show at The Hook. Plus I learned all the lyrics so I could sing along. Took me 'til Tuesday to get my voice back. :lol:

As for Odin's Court, I heard so many great reviews about their live performance, I was dying to see them live myself. Lived up to every prior review and every expectation. Musically clever, skilled and exciting; visually entertaining and energetic. Can't wait for the next gig! :headbang:

Hey savabich2, even though our music doesnt catch u, I want to thank you for coming out and supporting the prog metal show at The Hook. Im very stoked to hear you dug Odin's Court and Suspyre, both these bands rule!

I saw that you were helping promoting the show on the board and want to say thank u for doing that.

Metal
Jasun/ZH

Absolutely Jasun!

And you know what? Your professional and amazing attitude just makes me want to come out and support you guys again, even though the music isn't my cup of tea, I will be there because I think you are super sweet and cool enough to accept that not everyone is going to dig your style. I don't think I can count on one hand the musicians that would respond to my comments that way.

You sir, rule!

:p

It would be pretty hard to say something like that as a matter of FACT, lol.

Yeah, it's my opinion. I don't remember one single catchy thing about Zero Hour's music. However, amazing technical players. Just not my kind of music.

If you hadn't listened to their new CD before the show, I'm not surprised to hear you say that. However, there are plenty of "hooks" in their music...it just may take a little longer for them to "sink in," so to speak. Once the hook has sunk in, though, you'll find that it's in there for good. :headbang:

ZH is not an easy listen, but it's well worth the time to let it sink in....their new disc is my #1 CD for 2006, hands-down....lots of competition for #2 and on down, but picking #1 for 2006 is going to be very easy for me.

"I.....hear.....some....thing." -- from "Falcon's Cry"

Craig

As for Odin's Court, I heard so many great reviews about their live performance, I was dying to see them live myself. Lived up to every prior review and every expectation. Musically clever, skilled and exciting; visually entertaining and energetic. Can't wait for the next gig! :headbang:
Yes, we have been labeled a "live" band. We plan on spending more time on the next studio album so we can capture a sound that lives up to our live show. Thanks so much for the flattering compliments, it means a lot because I know as someone in radio/reviews you hear A LOT of music. ;)

Metal
Jasun/ZH

Now that is fucking awesome! The guy did not really care much for the music, yet here is Jasun, still thanking the guy for still coming out!

Talk about integrity and professionalism here!

Fortunatly for me, I friggan love Zero Hour's music, and I hope and pray they come out this way again.

Thanks again for being awesome guys and putting on an awesome show. If you don't remember me, I was the fairly big guy with blond just past shoulder-length wavy hair, standing next to that british dude and his girlfriend/wife right up front against the rail at Jaxx. I was wearing a light-blue sleeveless denim shirt and black shorts.

Rock on and keep it metal!

I totally remember you my brutha and thank you so much for the kind words bro....WAY METAL!!

Hope to get back and play out your way again man next year and we'll chat it up again.

Sending the METAL sign you way kat.

Jasun

Now that is fucking awesome! The guy did not really care much for the music, yet here is Jasun, still thanking the guy for still coming out!

Talk about integrity and professionalism here!

Fortunatly for me, I friggan love Zero Hour's music, and I hope and pray they come out this way again.

Thanks again for being awesome guys and putting on an awesome show. If you don't remember me, I was the fairly big guy with blond just past shoulder-length wavy hair, standing next to that british dude and his girlfriend/wife right up front against the rail at Jaxx. I was wearing a light-blue sleeveless denim shirt and black shorts.

Rock on and keep it metal!
Yes, he/they are awesome! BTW, savabich2 is a woman. ;)

So do I!

Dude, your head ends up everywhere! Its all over our DVD! Hell, I think you got more camera time than any of us! :lol: