Of Sins And Solos

Vlakey

Prog Key Shredder
Feb 17, 2004
Vienna, Austria
www.moondive.tk
Hi everyone! ;)

I'm new on this forum, and I'd like to share something I played with you, since you're all Symphony X fans... it's the solo section of "Of Sins And Shadows" played entirely on the keyboard. I'm gonna play this with my band, and since our guitarist can't play the parts, we were thinking of swapping the parts, so that I can play guitar solos, and he can play keyboard solos... :D

Give it a hear... I hope you'll like it!

Of Sins And Solos

Have fun! :headbang:

Shit man, you sound just like Pinella! I really need to take keyboard lessons, since I've been playing for a few months, but most of that has been songwriting, not practicing my playing technique. How long you been playing? Any books/videos/whatevers you can recommend?

You play all the solos?? :OMG:

I mean, I can play the 2 keyboard solos, but I don't think I can play the guitar ones...

arglebargle said:
How long you been playing? Any books/videos/whatevers you can recommend?
I've been playing since '98, and I'm largely self-taught... it's not as hard as it sounds, you just need to be stubborn, and keep playing, and eventually one day you just take a listen at your technique, and say "hey man, not bad!" :)

The only keyboard video I saw was Jordan Rudess' "Keyboard Wizardry". It's not "the" keyboard bible, but he sure shows some interesting excercises and tricks. Apart from that, there's one thing I'd try to recommend to keyboard players that want to improve their soloing, and primarely pitch bending abilities... try learning guitar solos! ;) if your technique isn't advanced, you can start with Slash or Angus Young, and you can build up to, for examp. Petrucci (he has some really easy stuff if you look for it), or Romeo, if you're really an idiot like me... :D

Dressed To Kill said:
I mean, I can play the 2 keyboard solos, but I don't think I can play the guitar ones...

I learned the keyboard solos pretty fast, cause I think I'm much more similar to Pinella in pattern forming, so I've got it mostly in my hand already. but don't be fooled, Romeo is :worship: , and he gave me a really hard time! His tapping solos often have like... five tones in place of four... He's crazy ;)

SevenString said:
and you ARE a jedi!

may the prog be with me... always! :D

Divine Wings Of Tragedy said:
hohoho you are here too, i'm the one who commented first in your topic at jordan's forum

kepsilon, right? well.. you got me :wave:

again, I'm really glad you folks liked it this much.... :)
I guess it won't hurt to post you some more links... :D
here's another thing, that you may or may not know....
it's a solo part from the song "Scarred" by Dream Theater...
(both solos on keys again)

Scarred

this may not be as impressive as the previous, but it might be interesting to those of you that are DT fans... :)

Have fun, folks, and prog on! :wave:

from "scarred" to "scarified": on a related note, i had a prog-metal band back in the late-80's, and for live shows, we sometimes covered "Scarified" by Racer-X. my drummer was a Scott Travis freak, and my keyboard player used to do all of the 2nd guitar parts in harmony with me. For the solo section, we used to do it note-for-note, with the keyboard player taking the "bruce boulliet" parts.

ah, the good old days...

what else can you play? ... smoke and solos?, church of the solos? inferno (unleash the solos)?, solos of the apprentice?, king of solos? ... great stuff man, keep it up! :cool: