What song should i learn next?

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I laughed so hard when my cousin said that Angus Young was the single fastest, most blistering player in the world. I thought it was a joke, but he was serious!

Thats not so unbelievable. Lots of "average" people think stuff like that. Don't tell me you've never run into those old 40 year old guys who think Clapton, Page, and Hendrix are the greatest guitarists ever to live. Santana's another popular one too. And lets not forget all the weenies who think Kirk Hammett is god :rolleyes:

hmmm, true true...

and Sea of Lies is coming along well, the taping part is coming along quite fluent really.

Yngvai X said:
Thats not so unbelievable. Lots of "average" people think stuff like that. Don't tell me you've never run into those old 40 year old guys who think Clapton, Page, and Hendrix are the greatest guitarists ever to live. Santana's another popular one too. And lets not forget all the weenies who think Kirk Hammett is god :rolleyes:
The widespread opinion is that Jimi Hendrix is the most skilled guitarist ever. :lol:

I think that Clapton is really overrated but Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page were really reat guitarists (well, not technically) and Carlos Santana was one of the innovators of fusion music.

But I've never heard of anyone thinking that Angus Young is the most skilled.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
hmmm, true true...

and Sea of Lies is coming along well, the taping part is coming along quite fluent really.

I dont believe you!! You should prove it by posting a sound file of yourself playing like DivineWingsOfTragedy did!!

naw just kidding but that would be super mega cool.

I'm actually thinking of duing it. I wanna make my own solo over the same rhythm, but then the tapping part I'll do normally.

The only problem is that i don't know how to post mp3's and stuff on the computer? But I'll learn!

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I'm actually thinking of duing it. I wanna make my own solo over the same rhythm, but then the tapping part I'll do normally.

The only problem is that i don't know how to post mp3's and stuff on the computer? But I'll learn!

you mean you dont know how to create the two tracks or you dont know how to post the sound file on the internet?

Try The Eyes Of Medusa, it's quite cool with easier solo.

And DWOT is great too, almost all of the riffs are playable, it's just the length which makes it not-so-easy-to-approach...

edit: damn typos...

Yngvai X said:

Lol, Preach it

Yngvai X said:
i THink Malmsteen, Stve VAi, joe Satrani & paul gilbert (from MR BIg)
Paul Gilbert Got awesom speed & Melo with arrpeggois
:headbang: lets not forget slayer:headbang: :headbang: :worship: :worship:

Inferno is a much easier song than it sounds. I mean, I can play the entire thing, except for the 2nd guitar solo.

Hey people, you can get a free PSP from these people, i'm trying to get one help me out if you want one too

http://psps.freepay.com/?r=24956117

I'm serious this really works. I got a free iPod from the same company. All you have to do is register under that url, complete an offer (it might cost you a buck depending on which offer you complete, but not much at all considering) and then just get 5 people to sign up under you.

No offense, but the tapping solo from Sea of Lies is somewhat easy. Getting it to sound good is a different story, but its relatively easy. The rest of the solo makes me want to commit ritual suicide but whatever.

i am working on A bet ya cant play this on the kirk hammet guitar world. It is a tapping song from romeo, it is so fucking hard!!!

and uh u are all wrong, dimebag is #1 eddie is #2 and rhoads is #3

MrFast said:
No offense, but the tapping solo from Sea of Lies is somewhat easy

Yeah I agree, but you only realise it once you get it......and it took me ages. One thing that still shits me off is getting my ring finger to work properly cos its kinda weak when I do that kinda stuff. The only other problem I have is keeping down noise.......cos my setup is fairly noisy and everything and u have to have it going perfectly to get no noise :s. Thats definately the hardest thing for me.

Zygote said:
i am working on A bet ya cant play this on the kirk hammet guitar world. It is a tapping song from romeo, it is so fucking hard!!!

and uh u are all wrong, dimebag is #1 eddie is #2 and rhoads is #3

That tapping thing is redonculous.

MorphineChild205 said:
The Odyssey!

I'm in the process of learning the whole song on bass. I've already got most of DWOT down.

I learning inferno on bass, and its not that hard, give or take a few licks.

this is the first time i post in this thread, so baring in mind what all others have said before me, the best Symphony X song-sections which should be learned for:

1) a great practice
2) a show-off of skills infront of other people
3) the fact that they are so damn good

...are (in my opinion):

1- The amazing long intro-solo of Out Of The Ashes.... reeks of technicality and is neo-classical at its best. The hardest part is at the end where the real neoclassical shit kicks in.

2- Smoke and Mirrors' intro whole-fretboard shred sweep....* try playing it the same way Romeo does and then try playing it while shifting all sweeps into major and minor patterns only. ie: without doing any of the bar-sweeps.... kind of more challenging this way :D

3- Sea Of Lies: play the whole intro + the string skipping section (try it legato for a better challenge) + the tapping section. cool to play... would impress any person who understands guitar... it would impress people who know nothing about guitars as well !!!

3a- Sea of Lies: play the string-skipping-tapping section that follows the fast bass frenzy section. It's not very hard like some have already mentioned, but the trick is in getting it to sound good and clean.... and here lies the challenge

4- The massive solo of "The Turning".... pretty tricky at first, but will prove to be a very good practice in the long run plus a joyful experience to play... the hardest part in my opinion is when the sweeping kicks in at the end.. the sweeping itself is not hard at all, but the final part of the sweeping contains a massive sweep-slide-slide-sweep which i still can't do till now (unfortunately):cry: .... hope others here will have better luck than me in doing it :D otherwise, this solo piece is amazing.

5- "In the Dragon's Den" is also quite a challenge to play from what i've heard (I personally haven't tried playing it yet) !!! the lead sections and solos are near damn impossible according to the people who tried to play it... but from what i've read on this thread, I think there are quite a few musicians here who are more than capable of pulling this one off.... so good luck with it... I might be trying it soon too :D

Happy shredding people :D