Official buying advice thread

korg triton workshop. all good keyboardists have there. tuomas planman from norther uses it, and listen to the keys on their albums.

Well, I've been looking for some stuff and I've found nice keyboards. Korg X-50 and Korg PR61 (which in fact is a Triton's cousin) are the ones I think are best ones. Yamaha MO6 and MM6 are nice too, but since I already have a Yamaha Tyros, I think it would be almost the same.

All of them are synthetizer, so besides using it as a rehearsal's keyboard I could use it for creating things with my computer too.

Thanks for your help. If some one could give me a piece of advice about the synths I've talked about I'd really be pleased.

'Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius'

if you want sounds similar to them buy a roland jv1080 module or a jv1010 module, which really isnt too expensive, and then buy a midi controller or a lighter keyboard like a korgx50 (like you mentioned) and use it to control the module. which would all probably still come into your budget i think.

I'm not sure if this idea will interest you, but you could buy a really cheap keyboard, and use it as a MIDI controller, for a laptop computer, and spend the rest of your budget on high quality soundfonts, etc.

I've been using a Casio CTK-573 up until recently, because I got it for Christmas like five years ago. The keyboard itself is pretty shitty, but I basically just use it as a MIDI controller for stuff that I do on my computer, with like 1.24 GB of soundfonts. I just got another Casio for my birthday, because I wanted one with lit keys (LOL) and it sounds much better than my other one, but nothing near the professional quality that you're looking for. Not that it matters though, because it's very light, and I have all the high quality sounds I need on my computer, anyway :)
korg triton workshop. all good keyboardists have there. tuomas planman from norther uses it, and listen to the keys on their albums.
Korg Triton is an amazing keyboard indeed, but it weighs like 65 pounds, which is exactly the opposite of what he's looking for.

I play in a brutal death metal band and a thrash band, but i am by no means limited as a guitar player to these tones and styles. I am looking for a good amp head to suit all my personal needs, which include a really warm and articulated clean sound and an insanely brutal low end punchy distortion chug and crunch sound, and again it needs to be an articulated amp so the notes are crystal clear. I've had many recommendations to engls and other boutique amps but its not something i can afford right now. I have narrowed it down personally to my knowledge to The peavey JSX, the Marshall TSL 100 or a mesa dual or triple rectifier.
Can anyone offer any input or personal experience with these amps or any other recommendations? haha anything really... Thanks!

Hmm, it seems every reply i get is to get a boutique amp from an obscure company...I'm not against it but how would i go and actually try out these amps and look into them?

I'm thinking of buying a mic for recording acoustic guitar and some vocals.

My local store has got the following:
Shure PG57/PG58/SM58-LCE (dynamic mics)
Behringer C1/C2/C3 (condenser mics)

So...
Are the Shure mics good, and what are the differences between them?
Do I need some sort of amplifier, or can i plug them straight into my soundcard(audigy 2)?
Are the Behringer ones better, and if so, how do I used phantom power?

I'm thinking of buying a mic for recording acoustic guitar and some vocals.

My local store has got the following:
Shure PG57/PG58/SM58-LCE (dynamic mics)
Behringer C1/C2/C3 (condenser mics)

So...
Are the Shure mics good, and what are the differences between them?
Do I need some sort of amplifier, or can i plug them straight into my soundcard(audigy 2)?
Are the Behringer ones better, and if so, how do I used phantom power?

Shure makes good mics, I've never seen great quality from anything made by Behringer. Condenser mics are good for acoustic guitar and vocals, but they all require some form of external power. Some will just use a battery, but the good ones usually need phantom power. Mics that need phantom power will have a XLR tip on the end of the cable (big 3 prong thing). You'll need something like a PA or a special audio interface for your computer. I use an M-Audio MobilePre USB interface and it supports phantom power. There are others more expensive and a few less expensive out there.

If you're using a dynamic mic you can just plug it in to your computer (you might need some adapters to get the connection right) but it's not going to sound as good as it could if you used a pre-amp of some kind. Depending on what you're using on the computer to record you may be able to sweeten it up after the fact, but I prefer to start with the best recording possible.

My advice would be to get a Shure SM57 ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102 ). It's the best bang for the buck and a good investment. You'll buy more mics but it will never be that old, crappy first mic that you don't use anymore. And since it's a dynamic mic you won't have to worry about phantom power.

My brother and I just got a Shure Beta 58A. It is an awesome mic, we used it for the first time today. Our vocals were really clear and there was like no feedback at all, it was a joy to use. On musiciansfriend it is about 160 bucks, we got it for 100 on ebay, its practically brand new the guy only used it a few times to do some recording. I would check around for one of those if I was you.

Thanks both of you. I'll probably order an SM57 from misiciansfriend then,
seeing as my local shop charges twice as much!

I gather Beta 58A is mainly a vocal mic, or is that one good for instruments too?

ask all your questions about which guitar/keyboard/snare drum should i buy here. that way we can keep a record of all the advice given, and keep everything in a central location.

good questions to ask here would be "i'm thinking about buying a new guitar. i have about $600 in my budget, what should i get?", "i'm looking for a good beginner guitar, whats a good one?", or "do you think the *insert guitar here* is worth the cost?"
~gR~

I have a need to be creative, and so I feel like buying a guitar. Of course, I realise this isn't an easy choice to make, and considering I don't know anything about guitars... well... :erk:

And of course, it takes time, dedication and lots of practice to learn, but I am interested.

I may be asking a lot, but is someone able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Sky Coyote.

First off, whats your price range for buying?
What are your goals? Going to play in a band?
What i can say is that with commitment guitar isn't that hard when starting out. You just need to pick easy things to begin with and work your way up.
As far as the guitar you want to buy, what are you looking for acoustic or electric?
What style do you want to play?