OH HEY THEREEEE

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Got done recording a pretty sweet band today. Something new thats for sure. They're heavy, but they have some cool melodic stuff that I really dig.

Today I recorded drums in a new space, that I absolutely loved, and I used a completely different setup for mics/placement that turned out quite well.

What I'm posting is completely unedited.. Literally. The drummer was very solid, and I'm thinking about not even quantizing drums much at all. The kick is obviously a blend of real with slate. The snare is actually the real snare! I loved that snare. BUT I also duplicated the snare track, converted transients to midi and used superior drummer overheads only for a cool snare verb.

I think it's sounding pretty good for just coming off the board!

Check it:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/ToColby.mp3

FINAL VERSION:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me! But it sounds like the guitars are out of tune in the chords!?! around 0:20-0:25.

Anyway would like to hear this with a singer. Depending on what singer it will make or break this band as always.

Sounds good to me! But it sounds like the guitars are out of tune in the chords!?! around 0:20-0:25.

Anyway would like to hear this with a singer. Depending on what singer it will make or break this band as always.

yeah. they're a bit out of tune at the beginning it seems. maybe even again towards the end.
the cymbals have a pretty wide image. what technique did you use on this one?
snare sounds sick. keep it definitely.

overall, I'm liking how this is turning out. can't wait to hear the completed project.

Thanks guys!

Here's a little video blog the dudes did yesterday.

I was quite drunk in any instances you see me in:

Hey dudes! Here's the final version of this tune-- With vox and everything. I'm pretty sure it's the final, that is.. I love it:

Also, I was curious. There's a part in the chorus, where the singer naturally sounded like he had a ton of auto-tune on. But there was none.. Is there a way to fix that?

I'd go easier with the compression man
also the kick is REALLY loud imo
sounds solid otherwise, especially the overheads!

I'd go easier with the compression man
also the kick is REALLY loud imo
sounds solid otherwise, especially the overheads!

Are you talking about on the master buss? If so, that's weird because I actually didn't use a buss comp for it, just ozone, and psp vintage warmer.

I agree about the kick, now that you mention it.

vintage warmer is a compressor as far as I remember ;)
it's audible at some parts, were it seems you automated the volume of the rhythm guitars and they get louder...feels a bit squashed to me

vintage warmer is a compressor as far as I remember ;)
it's audible at some parts, were it seems you automated the volume of the rhythm guitars and they get louder...feels a bit squashed to me

Okay. I'll have to work on that!

Is it really annoying, or just something you're pointing out? The guys want the song done today, and if it's not horrendous, then I'll call it good as is.

well it's not like its pumping like a mofo, and it's also not annoying as hell, it's just something I recognized while listening to the guitars...they sound a bit squashed to me at some parts.
You have to decide if you want to look into it or not in the end, but if it was my mix I'd do!