brutal beatdown - the opposite of sturgis-core :) (ryan reamps, Lasse samples)

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1425397/Regret your lies/ryl first master.mp3

-drummer couldnt track with a click, so be it.
We were after a brutal sound with some live-vibe. They didnt want to have everything perfectly edited and stuff.

Kick is fully triggered with Lasses samples (natural metal and another) and the slate dan-kick is blended underneath

Snare is triggered with Lasse samples (snare 5 and one artist snare I think) + the slate deluxe snare for the OHs.
Also a bit of the real tracked snare is in ,too.

Ryan reamped the guitars
Guitar was a Jackson with floyed rose and emg-hzs into my radial di.
Ryan used a ts-5150-mesa as far as I know
Bass is done with podfarm and logics bass-amp (ibanez bass)

Vocals are Rode NT2a into audient

mmmh and I used a lot of SSL

I'm only on a laptop at the moment. But it's a nice mix dude! good stuff :) Vocals are a little... maybe dry to me, they seem right THERE and not as much in the mix as I like. But hey! That's me ;)

haha, gabriel, der sänger klingt genauso wie der kleine von ltf ;-)

well yeah, i dont know. this kind of music doesnt work unedited (if the band is not ace enough).
its all way to sloppy so it lacks impact. but i think its cool you guys tried different !
im not sure about the snarereverb/z2 things, it doesnt fit the rest of the mix (to my ears).

but what i really like is the cymbal and hihat sound ! nice one! what hihats/cymbals were used ?

BUT GABRIEL : FUUCKK; THIS NEEDS WAY LESS SSL!!! YOU OVERDID IT THIS TIME :) THE WHOLE THING IS TOO SSL-Y!

well yeah, i dont know. this kind of music doesnt work unedited (if the band is not ace enough).
its all way to sloppy so it lacks impact. but i think its cool you guys tried different !
im not sure about the snarereverb/z2 things, it doesnt fit the rest of the mix (to my ears).

but what i really like is the cymbal and hihat sound ! nice one! what hihats/cymbals were used ?

BUT GABRIEL : FUUCKK; THIS NEEDS WAY LESS SSL!!! YOU OVERDID IT THIS TIME :) THE WHOLE THING IS TOO SSL-Y!

Dont take me wrong, but I think you are not that familiar with that genre at all.
Most real beatdown bands have shady productions and are beyong untight.
References I got from the band are:
-thick as blood (http://vimeo.com/3749180)
-Nasty
-Shattered realm
-Red line
-embraced by hatred
-fallbrawl
-in blood we trust
and many many more

This music style has nothing to do with bands like the ghost inside, bury your dead nor For the fallen dreams.
Its all about pissed as fucked music which hurts to listen to.

So my goal is to make that listenable :D

Forgot what cymbals they used, china was god awfull :)

High-hat sound is 90% commin from the OH-AB->audient

I think this sounds damn awesome, and pretty damn tight for no editing/click! Great product man.

Dont take me wrong, but I think you are not that familiar with that genre at all.
Most real beatdown bands have shady productions and are beyong untight.
References I got from the band are:
-thick as blood (http://vimeo.com/3749180)
-Nasty
-Shattered realm
-Red line
-embraced by hatred
-fallbrawl
-in blood we trust
and many many more

This music style has nothing to do with bands like the ghost inside, bury your dead nor For the fallen dreams.
Its all about pissed as fucked music which hurts to listen to.

So my goal is to make that listenable :D

Forgot what cymbals they used, china was god awfull :)

High-hat sound is 90% commin from the OH-AB->audient

you're right, i dont listen to music like that (for a reason) ;-)

still love the overheads. really nice. what kind of audient did you use?
again props for taking a different approach on production !

if this was edited it would have no anger or passion, you can't edit beatdown hardcore

I used the audient mico for OH.
Beyerdynamic Opus 53 at small AB.

The mico is with spdif connected to my metric halo 2882 and is using the metrics clock.
High-hat was closed mic´d with an opus 53 and then into metric halo preamp

About the approach:
I want to make every band I track to sound like human-beeings, also if you make newschool stuff or deathmetal you need your 16th bassdrums tight as virgin-pussy...
But the band would have killed me if I went the ftfd route with them.
They make music to destroy faces in the pit..... :)

Thanks for the kind words

I used the audient mico for OH.
Beyerdynamic Opus 53 at small AB.

The mico is with spdif connected to my metric halo 2882 and is using the metrics clock.
High-hat was closed mic´d with a

thanks for the info! :headbang:

For what this, the only thing I would do is figure out the make the hats and that one crash quieter. Other than that just some vocal..not even smoothing but, maybe just automate some of the vocal levels so certain parts are not TOO overbearing.

Then you would have your self a very nice, old-ish, hardcore sound going.

"OH-AB->audient
Beyerdynamic Opus 53 at small AB"

So the Opus 53 were the overhead mics? Sorry, didn't really understand.

Might be their playing, but i really dislike the palmutes. In comparison with bands as hatebreed or full blown chaos the palmmutes sound loose and not punchy at all. As i said, might be their plaing.

my 2c :loco:

Hey guys want to keep you in the loop.

Production is done and band is super happy.
They got some nice reviews after uploading their first song
(if you want to check them out: myspace.com/regretyourlies)

I uploaded another song on my studio-myspace.
if you are interested in the outcome:
myspace.com/outofsidestudio

mixpod with high-quality mp3

cheers