Ohm:

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Anyone into Ohm: ? I'm a fan of Chris Poland. I find him to be one of the more original players out there. He really has his own sound, plays with feel, finds some really interesting tones and also has great chops.

I'm not crazy about his stuff with Megadeth, I hated his first solo effort,Return to Metropolis, but find Chasing the Sun to be amazing. I am curious if anyone is into Ohm: and can make a recommendation.

I'm so burnt out on the usual virtuoso players. I find his approach quite refreshing. I can't hear another blazing harmonic minor, or sweeping arpeggio. So many guitar players' solos now simply sound like a patchwork of all their practiced patterns and techniques. I'm dying for something new and different.

I like them. Ohm is friken awesome. Like Tjerje Rypdal, Shawn Lane, Michael Romeo, Enver, Ron Jarzombek, and of course, Big B. Schenkadere, some guys you might wanna check out: Scott McGill and Freak Zoid (highly recommended), Hellborg/Lane stuff, Rypdal/Tekro stuff, Steve Morse, Jarzombek,

PEANUT BUDDAH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. Megadeth was amazing with Poland, but his first solo disc was fucking ridiculous. A solo shredder who writes coherent songs is a weird concept it seems, but Poland does a killer job.

I need to hear some Ohm myself.

I completely agree actually. I can't stand his megadeth stuff or his early solo stuff, but love Ohm. His tone is one of my favorites too.

Yeah...he gets some amazing tones...the way it combines with his bends is fantastic. I think his fast playing is cool too...he has a very accurate find of flurry...he just brings a whole different feel to the table.

I like them. Ohm is friken awesome. Like Tjerje Rypdal, Shawn Lane, Michael Romeo, Enver, Ron Jarzombek, and of course, Big B. Schenkadere, some guys you might wanna check out: Scott McGill and Freak Zoid (highly recommended), Hellborg/Lane stuff, Rypdal/Tekro stuff, Steve Morse, Jarzombek,

PEANUT BUDDAH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrACYkXFqY

I'll check some of those guys out. I'm a long time Morse fan...way back to Unsung Heros...but much of his solo stuff suffers from lame and boring songwriting.

Ohm are probably my fave fusion trio atm. Pag is such a badass bass player. Ditto on the Scott McGill recomendation. I'd throw in Cosmosquad as another band to check out.

Ohm are probably my fave fusion trio atm. Pag is such a badass bass player. Ditto on the Scott McGill recomendation. I'd throw in Cosmosquad as another band to check out.

Cosmosquad is killer...I started really getting into them a few weeks ago. Another group he's in called The Bombastic Meatbats (with Chad Smith from RHCP of all people) is also great. Scott McGill is a tough one. He's a really nice guy and a great teacher, but I'm on the fence about his playing.

I disagree. Megadeth was amazing with Poland, but his first solo disc was fucking ridiculous. A solo shredder who writes coherent songs is a weird concept it seems, but Poland does a killer job.

I need to hear some Ohm myself.

Like Schenk, let me clarify and say that it was his playing in Megadeth that I couldn't stand. Going from Poland to Friedman (I'm ignoring the in-between guy who played on So Far So Good, So What because I can't even remember his name) was the biggest upgrade in lineup-change history. I can't agree with you about his early solo release(s). Total snoozers. Also...FWIW I REALLY don't think you'll like the Ohm stuff.

I agree, I don't think you'll like it much Zach, but who knows, perhaps it will be the band which draws you into the world of upper-class aural appreciation... :p

I only have Amino Acid Flashback, and I absolutely love it! And Kofi Baker is a killer drummer, the whole trio is fantastic! I've heard that their latest one Circus Of Sound or something is a bit more rocky, is the self-titled one more fusiony or less than AAF?