Greek Black Metal

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
Any suggestions for stuff like early Rotting Christ? Talking about Thy Mighty Contract/Non Serviam. I'm assuming I should look into their contemporaries...I plan to hunt down Varathron - His Majesty At The Swamp and maybe Walpurgisnacht, Necromantia - Crossing The Firey Path and Scarlet Evil Witching Black, and the Black Arts Lead To Everlasting Sins split. I also suppose I should see if I can find any of the first couple Septic Flesh releases. I'm wondering if Varathron's One Step Beyond Dreams EP is also worth hunting down. I've heard the names Nightfall and Thou Art Lord mentioned as players in the early Greek black metal scene...what's worth tracking down from them?
Also, if anyone knows where I could find some of that Septic Flesh stuff for a reasonable price, it would be appreciated...that stuff appears to be fairly pricey.

Personally, I think all RC is worth having. Each one is unique. Theogonia and the latest are very good, as is Sanctus Diavolus or whatever.

I'd also get the Ancient Pride CD from Necromantia, and then stop. I like Varathron, but yeah, the first two are the only essential ones.

Thou Art Lord is OK if you like fast, thrashy satanic black metal. It a group comprised of guys from RC and Necromantia. All four releases are good, with the first two being the best.

I've only heard A Fallen Temple from SF, and I didn't like it, so I've judged the band on that one release, which probably isn't fair, but oh well.

Check out Zemial and Kawir and maybe Naer Mataron

Order of the Ebon Hand - The Mystic Path to the Netherworld is mandatory when it comes to 90s greek black metal imo.

And why "maybe" on Walpurgisnacht? It is easily the best Varathron album imo, better than His Majesty.