Metal with occult atmosphere

Solipsist

beyond all horizons
Jul 27, 2006
I'm looking for quality bands with sounds/atmosphere similar to that of bands like Necromantia, early Varathron, Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape, Root, Mortuary, Necromass, etc, etc (they all have occult/supernatural themes in the artwork/lyrics too). I'd describe the sound as evil, creepy, macabre, etc. (like something with melodies similar to that of early Slayer, especially the sound they had on South of Heaven, and death metal like Miasma).

Traditional metal recommedations along this line (such as Black Sabbath, Pagan Altar on the first album, Mystification-era Manilla Road, etc) are also most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hail, Blasphemy, Barathrum, Goat Molestor, Diocletian, Sadomator, Mefisto, Necros Christos, Zemial, Agatus, Kawir, Macabre Omen, Torr, Crux, Tudor

I knew you'd unwind on this, Necuratul... thanks. I can't believe I forgot Hail in my initial post; Inheritance of Evilness is as good as you and Malign Paradigm have said.

By the way, do you know where I could some more information about the new Necromantia album you mentioned in the metal 2007 thread? I've been looking, and it appears both their official website and Black Lotus Records are down or out of bandwidth or something.

Well they're actually on Dockyard 1 now. This is the Necromantia page on Dockyard 1's site: http://www.dockyard1.com/necromantia/default.asp

To be honest, I'm not expecting much to begin with from it, but I'll probably still give it a listen like I did with Crowsreign.

And speaking of Greek Black Metal, you'll want to listen to Thou Art Lord and Rotting Christ for that occult sound as well if you haven't already. I've actually made this same thread on another board.

Oh yeah, also check out Mystifier and Lutomsyl.

Just figured I'd throw out a couple more sheerly for reference's sake, some of them highly obvious:

Beherit, Archgoat, Tiamat, Samael, Anael, Xantotol, Holy Death, Taranis, Imperator, Blood Storm, Proclamation, Demoncy, Profanatica, Grand Belial's Key, Absu, Murder Rape, Morbosidad, Inquisition, Hadez, Goatlord, Mortem, Acheron, Bethlehem, Therion, Shub Niggurath, Abhorer, Pentacle, Ancient Rites, Amon Goeth, etc.

Oh, and when I said Lutomsyl, I meant to say Langsuyr.

I reckon Argentum's Ad Interitum Funebrarum is exactly what you're looking for. If I had to choose only one word to describe it, that word would be 'occult'. Check out Drowned's review for it on M-A.

Early Belial fits the bill. Check out Wisdom of Darkness and Gods of the Pit.

Well, if you want to go for evil sounding, I hear Senthil is pretty damn evil.

If you want an evil death metal sound, go for Watch Them Die, great band with a Bathory influence.

I left out a lot of obvious Death Metal choices, but I have a feeling you're looking more the the Black Metal side based on the bands you mentioned. That said, you probably know most of the Death Metal that I would name anyway (The Chasm, Demigod, Demilich, God Macabre, etc.).

As far as Traditional Metal goes, Satan's Host will probably serve you well.

Fantastic. Cheers. This thread has served me greatly as well

Indeed. This kind of stuff rules.

I actually checked out that Argentum album before I made this thread, and it definitely is good and something appropriate for this thread (Drowned's review does it justice for sure). And Satan's Host sounds interesting from the initial listening. And Barathrum is great, reminds me alot of Beherit.

the newest kartharsis, world without end, has extensive occult imagery in the artwork and music. i know a bunch more but i am blotto right now

also, get it on vinyl, it sounds really good. or fuck you or whatever

there was a band in the 90s called in/humanity and they released a great album called "the history behind the mystery" that combined the game 'Clue', the occult and fucked up and inventive heavy music. the lp came with a 7 inch that was one song spanning both sides called 'Music To Kill Yourself By'. i dont know why i sold it. time to hit up ebay.

I'm looking for quality bands with sounds/atmosphere similar to that of bands like Necromantia, early Varathron, Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape, Root, Mortuary, Necromass, etc, etc (they all have occult/supernatural themes in the artwork/lyrics too). I'd describe the sound as evil, creepy, macabre, etc. (like something with melodies similar to that of early Slayer, especially the sound they had on South of Heaven, and death metal like Miasma).

Traditional metal recommedations along this line (such as Black Sabbath, Pagan Altar on the first album, Mystification-era Manilla Road, etc) are also most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Merciless The Awakening
Ancient Rites The Diabolic Serenades
Molested Blod-Draum
Mortem The Devil Speaks in Tongues and Decomposed by Possession
Murder Rape Celebration of Supreme Evil
Rigor Mortis Rigor Mortis
Ethereal Om Santhi
Cathedral The Forest of Equilibrium
Ras Algethi Onericon - The White Hypnotic
Torturer Oppressed by the Force
Mortuary Blackened Images
Sarcofago I.N.R.I.