greek extreme metal appreciation thread

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
enough emo threads, more heavy metal. ok.

i just placed an order at the end records for 5 classic greek albums & a rotting christ shirt (rotting christ "passage to arcturo", rotting christ "non serviam", nightfall "parade into centuries", necromantia "crossing the fiery path", necromantia "scarlet evil witching black"), i have a varathron disc coming as well, and i wanted to talk a bit more about greek extreme/black metal because i've been listening to the stuff a lot lately.

old cult greek black metal always had a very special sound; like norwegian or finnish metal there's a typical "greek melodicism" that shines through in all the bands and their lead & synth work. people like to describe it as a occult, "warm" sort of feeling compared to the cold & grim nordic black metal. i thought maybe i'd post some samples for those who missed them the last time i posted varathron/nightfall/necromantia samples, and also for pretty much anyone else

rotting christ!
great band and probably the most well known standard bearer of the "greek" sound. here's an mp3 from "non serviam" which was re-released by the end records' sublabel UNRULY SOUNDS a while ago:

"non serviam"

brilliant song, been listening to it like 10+ times last night & today

varathron!
"his majesty at the swamp"... classic album!

"the tressrising of nyarlathotep (act I)"

don't ask me what a "tressrising" is :confused:

nightfall!
now i've been whoring this band on RC before because i really think "macabre sunsets" (the only album i have, well at least until their supposedly more doomy first album comes in my mail) is a mostly brilliant (though largely quite inaccessible) piece of work that's very inventive, having some "eastern" type melodic tendencies while again retaining the "greek" sound. not actually purely black metal like the other bands mentioned though, plenty of doom-death in there... they called it WAR METAL back in the day

"bitterness leads me to my savior death"

necromantia!
known as the band that uses two bass guitars and no rhythm guitar whatsoever. again, "scarlet evil witching black" is a complete classic that noone really should be without! a little bit faster and more grim than the others, perhaps

"devilskin"

ok, download these shitz, :worship:, then tell me how much you :worship:'d them.

someone tell me more about THOU ART LORD and SEPTIC FLESH please? maybe some samples (preferrably of their earlier albums)

Ellestin said:
Nice thread but look, I have only one Greek band in my entire collection and it's Nocternity and it's not in your list. Do you sense something wrong?
nocternity, while a great band, does not have the traditionally "greek" sound that i'm talking about, they're more derived from nordic black metal. what i sense is WRONG here is that you still don't own any rotting christ, varathron, etc.

Not many good bands come from Greece... but the ones that do, are cool.
the bands you mentioned above are all good, but far from being my favorite.

one of my good friends loves to collect primitive BM albums, the ones that
sound like they have been recorded in a cave, y'know, anyhoo
he has MANY great greek bands on that collection.
and some of them are GREAT, too bad i can't rememebr any names.

Yeah I'll download these -- I've wanted to hear Rotting Christ for a damned long time. And I've always liked that Nightfall album -- the one Chief B reviewed, but their last one was pretty blah.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah I'll download these -- I've wanted to hear Rotting Christ for a damned long time. And I've always liked that Nightfall album -- the one Chief B reviewed, but their last one was pretty blah.
eh, i don't know anything about new nightfall. i know they changed their logo and released an album called "lesbian show" = erik stops caring

i'm talking about the first three albums -- parade into centuries, macabre sunsets, athenian echoes + eons aura mcd (featuring cover of manowar "thor" :kickass: )

why? it's an awesome name
and i love their old logo

logo.gif

actually i also like some of their stuff after they changed their logo & style a bit -- "a dead poem" has some great songs!

Erik said:
why? it's an awesome name
and i love their old logo

logo.gif

actually i also like some of their stuff after they changed their logo & style a bit -- "a dead poem" has some great songs!
I have only heard the songs of the album that "quintessence" is on. It was okay, but not too great.. I will check the band out again however.