Old School melodic death/black metal

11glo52.jpg

Seriously. Click it. Use it. Love it.

The Moaning - Blood From Stone
A Mind Confused - Anarchos
Decameron - My Shadow...
The Moaning was really good. I couldn't find anything by A Mind Confused. Decameron didn't do anything for me.

Uncanny - Splenium for Nyktophobia
This sounded quite good. Not quite what I'm looking for, but still pretty damn good.

This might be a dumb suggestion because you're probably already familiar with them; but if you haven't heard some of Suidakra's older material I'd recommend that, especially The Arcanum and Signs For the Fallen.
I actually wasn't familiar with Suidakra. Signs For The Fallen sounds a little too modern in style and shitty production-wise but the stuff from The Arcanum sounded excellent. Another album I can't find, though.

This is weirding me out: this song appeared on Soulreaper's Written in Blood. Neither are credited as covers on MA. WTF?

Desultory
Cool. Not at all what I'm looking for, but definitely badass stuff.

Necrophobic, not too obscure obviously, but this particular EP kicks ass like a brutal mofo and isn't as well known as their later stuff, get it!
Sounds pretty meh to me, actually.

Ophthalamia, for any fan of Orchid and Morningrise. Just like with those albums the melodies aren't as predictable as in much other stuff.
Awesome. Again, not what I'm looking for, but sweet.

Ablaze My Sorrow
Meh + excessively thick production (remember that bit about how I like thin productions and atmosphere?)

Autumn Leaves
Awesome. Sounds a bit metalcorish but I don't mind. Great rec.

How 'bout some old Cemetary:
Not such a good rec. Good stuff but not what I'm looking for.

Almost forgot the best one of them all - Without Grief:
This sounds excruciatingly uninteresting tbqbfh.

Arch Enemy (old)
Old AE is killed by Liva's vox. I mean, look at this:

Kickass music but then he opens his mouth...GODDAMNIT. How did he ever convince them that half-assed clean shouting was appropriate for that music?

Awesome. Good rec.

Bloodthorn
Not looking for symphonic bm. Cut it out.

I believe I used the word "dark" in describing what I was looking for.
Grievance
Seriously, really really not looking for symphonic bm.
Twin Obscenity
That's more like it. Pretty good.

Forgot one very obvious band...

Non Serviam
Not bad, but not really what I'm looking for.
Brimstone(love this album)
This is fucking power metal. Did you read my post or the thread title at all?
That said, this is alright.

Gates of Ishtar
Aside from the guitars being way too quiet, this is pretty darn good.
Moonstruck
Boring w/ horrid vocals.
Withered Surface
Mostly just boring.

Good but excessively polished. Not really what I'm looking for.

'Eternal Lies' maybe?
Pretty sweet.

I'm noticing that people are recommending stuff based pretty much entirely on the thread title, as I asked for more atmospheric stuff and have not been getting it. That said, some quality recs here, and thanks to all, especially MalignParadigm, who fucking rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody recommended Eucharist yet btw? Thought everyone loved them here. :p

Oh well,

Yeah, Eucharist is a great recommendation. Not quite sure why I didn't mention them.

This is weirding me out: this song appeared on Soulreaper's Written in Blood. Neither are credited as covers on MA. WTF?

Both bands featured a few members from the original group called Satanized, so I guess they considered the song more of a re-recording than a cover. The Decameron version is the best, I reckon.

So someone on another forum posted a Cardinal Sin song. I came to recommend it since it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for but then I see that Malign had already posted it. :lol:

I already knew Eucharist, but I didn't mention them. Good stuff. I assume A Velvet Creation is the best to start with?

Probably. Personally I like Mirrorworlds much more, but I'm pretty alone in doing that. A Velvet Creation also corresponds more to your description.

Hmm, from your feedback I have a hard time figuring out what works and what does not. But I'll take my chance and recommend some other bands:

Armageddon

Fall of the Leafe

Withered Beauty

If you've had enough recs already, just say it and I'll stop :)

Yeah Cardinal Sin was great. Good rec.
God Macabre - The Winterlong is mandatory listening. Its got the raw touch to it that you are looking for, although it doesn't really lean towards black metal at all. If you like God Macabre, then there are a fuck-ton more recs to get you creaming.

That song from The Winterlong sounded good but not really what I'm looking for. Pure old school Swedish death metal is a whole can of worms I'm not ready to open yet on account of there's just too fucking many awesome albums that are absurdly out of print that I'll end up bankrupting myself for.

Armageddon
Too happy. Otherwise, not bad but a little soulless.

Behind the Scenery
Sounds like a bad version of The Gallery. On the other hand, the Gallery is my favorite album ever, so that works for me.

Fall of the Leafe
Boring and too much keyboards.
Withered Beauty
Incredibly generic. Like, really, amazingly generic.
If you've had enough recs already, just say it and I'll stop :)
Yeah, I think I'm all set.

Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Sentenced (early)
Dismember
Rotting Christ (early)
Necrophobic
Naglfar (early)

Sorry if some have already been mentioned.