Old Paradise Lost & Katatonia

Lordenlil

FROST
Apr 19, 2002
Norway
vill.no
Hey. Katatons!

A couple of yrs ago I remember reading that Gregor M. from
Paradise Lost was/is one of Anders' fave guitar players.
I am listening to Paradise Lost - Gothic (1991) at this moment.
I really love this album, and I think it compares to Katatonia in
several ways. The leads and the atmosphere is... great!

Any opinions around this??

yep i agree. there is also a parallel between the bands in that they have both gone from death growl etc in early albums to clean vocals and a similar musical style in later albums...but i have to say that i prefer katatonias new stuff to paradise lost's most recent albums...

I used to worship PL a few years ago, I was always playing along with the albums and stuff. Now, I find that that stuff has gone stale for me, I even sold most of them, now only have Host, Icon, and Draconian Times (and Icon is a copy so couldn't sell that ;)). I'm more likely to put on Host (which I actually quite like), than any of their others.
I don't know wheather to be sad, or amused, or something else, that Katatonia started off as another PL-worship band, and are now far superior to them. It's also funny that, of all the bands that made the transition from growls to clean vocals, PL's vocalist (whose name I have rather embarrasingly just forgotten....) is the one that can't sing ;) :lol:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
It's also funny that, of all the bands that made the transition from growls to clean vocals, PL's vocalist (whose name I have rather embarrasingly just forgotten....) is the one that can't sing ;) :lol:

Nick Holmes.

I found Paradise Lost before MDB and Katatonia etc, although I lost interest after One Second.

Holmes' voice was so great on Draconian Times, but when he sings it's a pretty ordinary sound...

Aaaalright guys. I don´t mean to dissapoint anybody but...
NICK´S VOICE IS GONNA GET HARDER FOR THEIR NEXT ALBUM, released next September!!!
Yeah!
They´re great, PL, the fucking best!!! ;)

Originally posted by ColdDarkNord
Katatonia guys was biggest fans of Paradise Lost. If u can find their interviews from BMD period, u will find than guys tried to sound like Paradise Lost.
Yeah, Nyström worships the Gothic album, I read that in a recent interview even. Katatonia sounds most like PL on Sounds Of Decay, listen to that, then to Gothic and hear the similarities (guitarsound!)...

I still like Paradise Lost, although not as passionately as before...
Still prefer Gothic, Shades of God, Icon and Draconian Times to new stuff.
These albums remind me of my teens, care-free days. I´m still young, however. :)