OLD School: Twisted Sister in Philly Friday Night

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site

Friday night at Philadelphia's Electric Factory was a night of nostalgia. In what they say is the last Twisted Sister appearance, and in full makeup, the band came out and played an assortment of hits and rarities from their first four albums. They ignored the fifth, Love Is For Suckers, which was decent but definitely a declining effort (although "Wake Up the Sleeping Giant" would have gone over well). The band was pretty tight, and played well. Snider's voice has certainly changed a little over the last 17 years, but he still can hit most of the same notes. As a front man, though, he has lost absolutely nothing. He spent the night running the stage, providing funny comments, leading the audience in participation, and generally rocking as hard as any 25 year old. Of course, I'm not as objective as I could be, because TS was my favorite band in the 80's.

Here is the set list from the two hour show.

What You Don't Know Sure Can Hurt You
The Kids Are Back
Stay Hungry
Captain Howdy
Shoot'Em Down
You Can't Stop Rock N' Roll
The Fire Still Burns
We're Not Gonna Take It
I Believe In Rock N' Roll
I Am, I'm Me
Burn In Hell
(Drum solo)
The Price
I Wanna Rock
It's Only Rock N' Roll, But I like it (cover of Rolling Stones)
---- ENCORE ----
Come Out And Play
Under The Blade
SMF

I missed the first opening band, Blazed, which is led by Snider's son. The second band, Sound of Urchin, was a poor mixture of punk and rock. The drummer/lead singer was mostly unintelligible, and the songs had a good eat, but were very repetitive. 30 minds of Sound of Urchin made me realize why they became an Urchin in the first place.

Overall, a great night remembering my favorite band during metal's formative years (for me).

Steve in Philly

DarkOne said:

Friday night at Philadelphia's Electric Factory was a night of nostalgia. In what they say is the last Twisted Sister appearance, and in full makeup, the band came out and played an assortment of hits and rarities from their first four albums. They ignored the fifth, Love Is For Suckers, which was decent but definitely a declining effort (although "Wake Up the Sleeping Giant" would have gone over well). The band was pretty tight, and played well. Snider's voice has certainly changed a little over the last 17 years, but he still can hit most of the same notes. As a front man, though, he has lost absolutely nothing. He spent the night running the stage, providing funny comments, leading the audience in participation, and generally rocking as hard as any 25 year old. Of course, I'm not as objective as I could be, because TS was my favorite band in the 80's.

Here is the set list from the two hour show.

What You Don't Know Sure Can Hurt You
The Kids Are Back
Stay Hungry
Captain Howdy
Shoot'Em Down
You Can't Stop Rock N' Roll
The Fire Still Burns
We're Not Gonna Take It
I Believe In Rock N' Roll
I Am, I'm Me
Burn In Hell
(Drum solo)
The Price
I Wanna Rock
It's Only Rock N' Roll, But I like it (cover of Rolling Stones)
---- ENCORE ----
Come Out And Play
Under The Blade
SMF

I missed the first opening band, Blazed, which is led by Snider's son. The second band, Sound of Urchin, was a poor mixture of punk and rock. The drummer/lead singer was mostly unintelligible, and the songs had a good eat, but were very repetitive. 30 minds of Sound of Urchin made me realize why they became an Urchin in the first place.

Overall, a great night remembering my favorite band during metal's formative years (for me).

Steve in Philly

I didn't realize they were calling it quits! Why?

edgeofthorns said:

All things come to an end. Some things should have come to an end before they did. :loco:

Say goodby Captain Howdy :wave:

Hear no Evil........Your's gonna burn in Hell :hotjump:

edgeofthorns said:

From what I've read about Snider in the past, he planned TS to get together as nostalgia only. He wasn't reforming the band, and never planned to put out new records. He says he knows the band's place, and doesn't want to be like the other 80's bands that are reforming and thinking they are anything but nostalgia (his words, paraphrased, not mine). So, this was kind of a limited run.

Steve in Philly

It was a great show, worth the 6 hour drive up from DC. (It should have been 3, but damn DC tracffic...)

I saw them in 2003 at Wacken and they were great there too. It was cool to see them in a small venue after seeing them with 44,000 people.