Symphony X in Philly

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Great tour kick off in Philly last night. The band sounded tight, and Allen was amazing - might have been the best I've seen him live.

It was a fun show. My only complaint - four songs from 'Paradise Lost' and none from what I consider their best album - "New Mythology". I suppose that tells you all you need to know about the popularity of the last couple of albums.

1.Of Sins and Shadows
2.Domination
3.Serpent's Kiss
4.End of Innocence
5.Paradise Lost
6.Smoke and Mirrors
7.Eve of Seduction
8.Dehumanized
9.Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)
Encore:
10.The Odyssey

Steve in Philly

Can't wait for tonight!!!

But one thing... Couldn't they have picked 3 or 4 different songs instead of The Odyssey for the encore? I mean, yes, I love that song, but they have soooo many gems in their discography (that half their new "fans" don't even realize)...

Aside from The End of Innocence or Dehumanized, it's the same exact setlist they played 3 or 4 years ago... *sigh*

I agree. While I still may go see them next Friday, it sucks that their "extended" set basically just added The Odyssey which I've seen performed something like 6 times already.

I haven't seen The Odyssey yet, actually, but I've seen everything else on that setlist both times I saw them (apart from the new songs). I was going to go tomorrow night, but can't make it - after seeing this, I don't think it's too huge a loss.

I agree - I like the Odyssey, but I'd much rather hear three different songs than that again. However, as soon as the band walked off the stage, the crowd was loudly chanting "Odd-Ess-Ee - Odd-Ess-Ee - Odd-Ess-Ee !" Clearly, the majority of the crowd wanted it.

Steve in Philly

Saw them in NYC last night and as always, the band is great. With that however, the set list blew. It was terrible. One song from Divine Wings; are you kidding me? No Sea of Lies, no Accolade, nothing really from V. And on top of it, Soilwork and Nevermore dropped out which should have meant even more for them to do as Headliners. Very dissapointing. Guess they have to market to all the young kids that jumping on board now with the last album. Can't blame them, but for the older fans... and I speak for myself... Play the old shit!

Saw them in NYC last night and as always, the band is great. With that however, the set list blew. It was terrible. One song from Divine Wings; are you kidding me? No Sea of Lies, no Accolade, nothing really from V. And on top of it, Soilwork and Nevermore dropped out which should have meant even more for them to do as Headliners. Very dissapointing. Guess they have to market to all the young kids that jumping on board now with the last album. Can't blame them, but for the older fans... and I speak for myself... Play the old shit!
Can't say it any better.

Although SX is an amazing live band, and one of my favorite bands period, I'm just not going to bother seeing them live if they plan to trot out the same tired set list, year after year, with the lone exceptions being the new material they wish to showcase. And I agree with Steve, I'd much prefer three more songs, than "The Odyssey". It was great for that tour, but now it's just tiring.

I'll say it again, although I am not a Dream Theater fan, I respect the hell out of the way they change their set lists night after night.

They did The Odyssey the first time I saw them, and not once since. I personally wouldn't mind it again. How often does a band come out for an encore, and do a stunning 20-minute masterpiece in front of you. Yeah, I could deal with that a few more times.

Before I rag on them for their boring setlists, I'd wait for the album to drop first. Since the CD isn't out, it's probably why their set hasn't changed since the PL tour. If it's *still* like this, yeah I'll join in on the haterade. It's whack to constantly play the same songs over and over again. I saw them in like 2008 though and they played some rare tunes that they don't ever play so who knows.

Before I rag on them for their boring setlists, I'd wait for the album to drop first. Since the CD isn't out, it's probably why their set hasn't changed since the PL tour. If it's *still* like this, yeah I'll join in on the haterade. It's whack to constantly play the same songs over and over again. I saw them in like 2008 though and they played some rare tunes that they don't ever play so who knows.

Yeah, I think their setlist will be better on their second/third go-around. I'll wait and see. :)

I'll say it again, although I am not a Dream Theater fan, I respect the hell out of the way they change their set lists night after night.

I hope DT still does that going forward...as I understood it, that was 100% a Portnoy thing (and I agree...LOVED that they did that). I'm hoping one of the other band members steps up to keep the set list fresh.

Was discussing this with the wife yesterday and we both thought that a pre-album-release tour would be a better opportunity to play a variety of stuff from all albums + a couple of new songs, rather than the tour after the release where you know half of the songs are going to be from said new album. (Of course we could be biased because we're seeing them 3 times on this tour and we're not sure we'll be able to do more than one gig on the next tour)