Blind Guardian in Philly - Apologies to Hansi

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
BG was in Philly last night. At PPIII, I was underwhelmed with Hansi's voice and stage presence. I thought he sounded great during the slow songs, but was overpowered on the heavy songs.

Last night in Philly he made up for it. For an hour and 40 minutes, BG played a great set and Hansi was great. He powered through the heavy songs (Into the Storm, Valhalla, Welcome to Dying) and sounded amazing in the slow ones (Nightfall, Bards Song, Bright Eyes).

The crowd was one of the best I've seen in Philly. They were really into it, moshing screaming, chanting . . . very cool. During the Bard's Song, Hansi had to sing only 5 or 6 lines, letting the crowd do the rest.

A great show, and a redeeming one for me.

Steve in Philly

This is sweet news. I'm going to see them this coming Friday in Atlanta and I am so looking forward to it. I've never seen them live before so I'm glad it was a great show. Please tell me they played "Sadly sings Destiny" in their set...one of my favorites...

I was very impressed by the show as well. When I saw Blind Guardian on November 21st, 2002, I was sort of bored and annoyed. People wouldn't stop moshing (I HATE moshing - I go to shows for music, not to get beat up) and the band had no energy. Hansi missed notes and held back. But last night, he was phenomenal and regained status in my top 5 singers. The whole band just sounded so full even without backing tracks providing the choir and orchestral stuff. It was an awesome venue too!

their stage presence is much, much better this time than on the 2002 tour, of which I saw the Detroit stop. He just stood there looking bored. This time he smiled, moved around stage, and in general had way more energy.

Awesome - glad to hear this is turning out to be an excellent show!

Tommorrow night, it is our turn here in the D.C. area at Jaxx, so I am definitly looking forward to this!

Forgot to mention - it looks like he lost a lot of weight. Oh, and KahlanRahl, sorry to say that "Sadly" wasn't on the setlist, and I haven't seen it on the lists for other cities. The song choice is great, though. "Fly" is awesome live.

Steve in Philly

I agree completely.

At PP III, I was underwhelmed. I expected more from one of the two biggest European power metal acts. On their NYC stop on the '02 tour, I thought they were better, but I was still not that impressed with the performance.

HOWEVER, their NYC show this year was unbelievable. I haven't enjoyed a show like that in quite a while. I look forward to seeing them again (in the near future, I hope) at a bigger venue. They deserve and the fans will definitely show up. They have quite an underground following.